Main Menu

Sparkling Gems

Started by Chad Holton, December 20, 2010, 06:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chad Holton

I added some sparkle to the gems. Let me know what you think. Is it too much? Comments and gentle critiquing is appreciated.

Check it out here -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9t6qYCPYBU
Thanks for looking,
Chad

Chad Holton

I found a freebie on turbosquid.com of this ring. There are a few holes in the geometry but still a decent model for free. Doing a turntable of it now.
The picture below consist of three rendering passes:
-ground, metal & sapphire
-diamond mask (similar to the clown pass)
-diamond
It may have not needed the diamond passes, but I like having control over just them.

Turntable video coming soon and if anybody is interested or curious on how the passes work, let me know, I could throw something together for that too.

Here's frame 24 of 350... + a little compositing...

Ed

Cholton - good work on the render and video.

It is difficult sometimes to find lighting that works well for metal and stones at the same time.  Usually the intense lighting needed to make the stones pop is too intense for the metal and blows out that portion of the image.  This is not a fault of Keyshot - the same thing happens in jewelry photography. So I understand the reason for multiple passes.

Please share how you made the passes and the modifications to each pass.

Ed

Chad Holton

Quote from: Ed on January 03, 2011, 10:39:57 AM
Cholton - good work on the render and video.

It is difficult sometimes to find lighting that works well for metal and stones at the same time.  Usually the intense lighting needed to make the stones pop is too intense for the metal and blows out that portion of the image.  This is not a fault of Keyshot - the same thing happens in jewelry photography. So I understand the reason for multiple passes.

Please share how you made the passes and the modifications to each pass.

Ed

Thanks, Ed!  :) I think you will really like this. What makes the individual passes so nice is that you can focus on each individual pass instead of the whole picture. Like using a different HDRI on each piece and making them each look awesome and then bringing them all together in the end. I will get something together and email it to you in the next day or so.

Please download and check out the video below and let me know what you think. Critiques are welcome - it's the only way I improve.

Jeff Hayden

Chad Holton

Chad Holton

And one more of the turbo squid ring. After reviewing the video today, I decided to swap out the diamonds with ones using a different HDRI and I also played with the abbe number a little. I also cut out the background to give a little more constrast... well a bunch more. It should be a little more crisp too.