Surface seems to incline

Started by Zvi, March 15, 2016, 07:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zvi

There is a problem with the map, Somehow it seems to incline. Changing focal length didn't solve the problem. The camera is in perspective mode.

Speedster

Is the map a backplate, or is it a label on a ground plane?  If the latter, it should have created the same perspective as the models.  You might want to place it on a curved backplate, flat under the models, then curving up and out of view.  Like a "cyclorama stage" in studio photography. I suspect it's a backplate, in which case you have a lot of work to do!
Bill G

Zvi

Quote from: Speedster on March 15, 2016, 02:51:34 PM
Is the map a backplate, or is it a label on a ground plane?  If the latter, it should have created the same perspective as the models.  You might want to place it on a curved backplate, flat under the models, then curving up and out of view.  Like a "cyclorama stage" in studio photography. I suspect it's a backplate, in which case you have a lot of work to do!
Bill G
It's an image projected on a surface.

Zvi

I'm attaching the file with the map, hopefully someone will find a solution.

TpwUK

I took a look, the map looks better if you use UV Mapping. Why are you using meters as your units of measurement? Your scene would be better using inches or even mm. Whatever scale you modeled at should be the units you use in KeyShot

Martin

Esben Oxholm

Hi Zvi

I think that taking the focal length down from 120 to something around 80 makes it look better.

Best,

Zvi

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on March 16, 2016, 02:17:05 PM
Hi Zvi

I think that taking the focal length down from 120 to something around 80 makes it look better.

Best,
Hi Esben,
You are right. It looks better, but still it looks odd, although I changed the focal length to 60.  And by the way, I really enjoyed your tutorial. You are a great artist!

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: Zvi on March 17, 2016, 01:37:29 AM
You are right. It looks better, but still it looks odd, although I changed the focal length to 60.  And by the way, I really enjoyed your tutorial. You are a great artist!

Thanks a lot! Glad you enjoyed it. Much appreciated.

I guess it maybe looks odd because of the way Italy is shaped. It's actually getting a bit broader towards the top, but the perspective makes it look more straight... not sure. I think if the map had some parallel straight lines on it, it would look fine, but they probably didn't use that in the old days :)

TpwUK

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on March 17, 2016, 06:30:47 AM
Quote from: Zvi on March 17, 2016, 01:37:29 AM

Thanks a lot! Glad you enjoyed it. Much appreciated.

I guess it maybe looks odd because of the way Italy is shaped. It's actually getting a bit broader towards the top, but the perspective makes it look more straight... not sure. I think if the map had some parallel straight lines on it, it would look fine, but they probably didn't use that in the old days :)

Makes me wonder if the  map was a section captured/cropped from a globe if you know what i mean

Martin