Main Menu

Lamborghini Reventon

Started by NM-92, March 16, 2016, 11:21:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NM-92

Hello. I downloaded a model (really can't remember where i found it) of a lamborghini reventon. Here are the results, raw and post. First experience with depth pass and several types of lights mixing, noticed something strange when i have a solid color background. Looks like the software canĀ“t figure out how far is that background, so it render the pass totally white in the background and the gradient values kinda jump there, so it is a bit unrealistic on the back. Will update with other shot, thank you !

Nicolas.

I tend to use a lot the lens flare effect, because i love it, but what do you think about this ? Is it correct ? Is it too shiny ? Should i stop using it at all ?

NM-92

A shot from the back and various experiments. Raw and post production with different focal lengths.

Raw

Attempt 1 (here you can see the jump on the depth map when it reaches the black background)

Attempt 2 (different focal length and glow in tail lights)

Attempt 3 (added lens flare)

Edit: Front Shot.

Raw

Josh3D

Nice start. I would say the perspective is a bit extreme and the blur a bit strong. The car has lots of great detail and lines. Work on bringing those out and it will completely change your renders. The lens flare works in some cases, but I would be sure it's not distracting. The last image looks good.

NM-92

Thank you Josh. I tried to tweak the perspective to make the car look more agressive but maybe it is too much. I agree with you on the blur aspect. I'm trying to get something similar to Magnus joystick renders, but i am not even close. Anyway, I'll keep practicing.

TpwUK

If you look me up on GrabCAD i modelled a Reventon a few years back, it's more to scale so might help you achieve the camera effects you are after, feel free to grab it and use it buddy

Martin

NM-92

Cool ! Is your username the same as the forum ?

TpwUK

Quote from: NM-92 on March 17, 2016, 08:40:35 PM

https://grabcad.com/martin.spencer.ford-1

sorry i should have linked it up before - it was late, that's my excuse and i am sticking with it :)

Martin

NM-92

Quote from: TpwUK on March 18, 2016, 12:20:10 AM
Quote from: NM-92 on March 17, 2016, 08:40:35 PM

https://grabcad.com/martin.spencer.ford-1

sorry i should have linked it up before - it was late, that's my excuse and i am sticking with it :)

Martin

Haha, no problem. I'll take a look, thank you !

Magnus Skogsfjord

First: I want to say I really like the final rear shot you got there. In my opinion, the paint have some nice lighting (for my non-automotive-trained eyes anyway). But as Josh points out, it might be slightly heavy on the perspective

Quote from: NM-92 on March 16, 2016, 11:21:49 AM
I tend to use a lot the lens flare effect, because i love it, but what do you think about this ? Is it correct ? Is it too shiny ? Should i stop using it at all ?

I have pondered and searched around for this very topic quite a bit over the years, and my conclusion is that this is personal preferences. But I think a rule of thumb is that you don't want to go "JJ Abrams - Star Trek" on your renders, and keep it subtle. I do this mistake pretty much every time I start post-processing, throwing in bits and pieces everywhere(glows, lens flares), but I end up removing 50-90% of it by the time I'm done. So personally, I like lens flares and these glows, but they have become more subtle over the years.

I'm not much for giving post-processing tips, as I am self-taught and not that experienced compared to other artists in here. However, google "lens flare overlays", and you'll find a ton of resources other than Photoshop's built-in lens flare tool. With these, you could use overlay settings like "Lighten", "screen", "Color Dodge", "Linear Dodge" and adjust the "Fill" settings to your liking. That's how I did it with the joystick anyhow:)

See image 1&2 below for detailed explanation.

NM-92

Hello Magnus, thank you. I'll check that out. As you can see, i'm learning everything like, from scratch, and there are a lot of quick tips that i don't know. I have a question from your joystick render. Is that ground modeled or is it built only with textures ?

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: NM-92 on March 18, 2016, 05:59:04 AM
Is that ground modeled or is it built only with textures ?

It is modeled. I modeled one of the hex tiles, and patterned it in KeyShot.

NM-92

Cool, i'll try something like that as well