camera projection

Started by carterhickmandesigns, March 19, 2016, 10:41:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carterhickmandesigns

Hello all, I was curious if anyone knows how to have the camera projection show up in the reflection of other materials/objects.

I have a sphere over a plane and I have an image that is using camera projection onto the plane.  However that projection does not show up in the reflection of the sphere?

Carter

Chad Holton

What is the sphere reflecting? Looks like it may be the ground texture but can't tell for sure.

carterhickmandesigns

it is a simple sphere and plane.  In the top image the sphere is reflecting a diffuse material applied to the plane.

The second image is the same set up but the plane has a camera projection image applied to it but it does not show up in the sphere refection.

I would think that it should show the reflection of the camera projected texture on the plane?

Carter

Chad Holton

I tested on my end and it seems to be reflecting properly. The sides of the sphere show the reflection of the texture, correct? Is the texture not covering all of the ground plane perhaps?

carterhickmandesigns

I am using the demo version keyshot 6 so I cannot save but this is a feature that I use daily in other apps and kind of a deal breaker if it does not work.  Any chance a screen shot of the setup you have that works?

Chad Holton

Yeah, I see the problem now after messing around with it more and ended up with a very similar result as your screenshot. Thanks for the heads-up on this one.

Chad

carterhickmandesigns

Well I kinda got it to work but the reflections are very incorrect!
The first image here is a box map with correct reflections
The second image is the plane with a camera projection and the reflections are all wrong in the sphere

Carter

carterhickmandesigns

I use this technique in my automotive renderings.  I can use backplates with matching HDR with the technique.  I will use the Camera projection to project the backplate onto a ground plane and back plane, then the backplate image will reflect correctly in the car paint.

Carter

Chad Holton

Bug reported. Thanks again!

Chad

carterhickmandesigns

any update on this projection mapping issue?

Carter

guest84672

Still seeing the same issue. I will follow up with development.

guest84672

Looks like this is fixed in 7.

carterhickmandesigns

Thomas, thank you this is what I have been waiting on!  ;D