can't undo stupid!

Started by hugo, March 24, 2016, 03:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hugo

I had spent considerable time getting a huge number of materials correctly placed into an imported architectural scene. Then I discovered I had accidentally deleted a geometry layer containing a floor slab. This now left my scene with the Ceiling Geometry plane  below the floor slab only.

So I thought, if I open another copy of KS with the old imported scene, copy and paste the missing floor slab geometry layer from the old KS scene over to my present scene in KS, all would be OK.
That did not work! or if it does work, its certainly not a simple copy and paste procedure, that one normally associates with typical copying and pasting procedures in programs such as Sketchup where this would have been a non-issue.

Any thoughts! , apart from be more careful in future :)

Chad Holton

Do you have backup revisions turned on by any chance?

hugo

Quote from: Chad Holton on March 25, 2016, 07:50:24 AM
Do you have backup revisions turned on by any chance?
I did not! ...... I guess that means there is no way to cut and paste materials related to geometry from one scene tree into another.  :(

Robb63

You can import the other scene into your current scene. Would that help you in this situation?

hugo

Quote from: Robb63 on March 26, 2016, 11:53:04 AM
You can import the other scene into your current scene. Would that help you in this situation?
I did not try that either! .. When your down the road that far, time wise, its not a good time to experiment.
In most instances, doing what you suggest in any program, would simply replace all my alterations, with the old scene.

Robb63

When you import a .bip file, Keyshot gives you the option to replace, or add to the scene. If you add it to the current scene it will be in its own container in the scene tree.

hugo

Quote from: Robb63 on March 27, 2016, 01:45:13 PM
When you import a .bip file, Keyshot gives you the option to replace, or add to the scene. If you add it to the current scene it will be in its own container in the scene tree.
I'm not talking about importing a bip. I'm talking how to recover some inadvertently deleted geometry that was on a layer in KS. I thought cutting and pasting between 2 open KS file might work.  But since this does not work. My new workaround thoughts are:

1. Make a copy of my original imported scene in whatever 3D program it came from.
2. Delete everything except the geometry that I deleted accidentally in KS
3. Save that Copy and use add to scene, that missing geometry into my KS.