HDR for accurate Pantone?

Started by Speedster, March 17, 2016, 09:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedster

Hi all;
Any suggestions for an HDR that is "neutral" and accurately depicts Pantone colors?
Bill G

LayC42

I guess a light gradient around 50% grey should work. BUT!
Which material should present correct color?
Diffuse, flat, toon?

Speedster

QuoteWhich material should present correct color?
Not sure.  "Pantone" directly from the KeyShot 'colors' library.

The issue is that my clients now want to use KeyShot renderings to actually choose Pantone colors by number.  Sort of works, but every HDR and setting (rotation, height, etc.) gives different results.  So I'm wondering what would be a good choice that does not affect the "out-of-the-box" Pantone colors.  Similar issue with Axalta colors as well.

I've tried to render orthographic "color swatch" images, but they are impossible to light properly.

I use a very high-end color calibrated EIZO monitor, so I'm comfortable with what I see.  But their monitors are usually of lower quality and distort the image.  So when we're really close, I print the rendering on an equally high-end Epson giclee printer and send it to them for eventual color matching.  So far, that's the best we can do, but I'm sure there are other digital only options.

Bill G

LayC42

Communication with a client without knowledge about color management is very frustrating.
Your way using printed examples is the best solution, in my opinion. Then the client can compare the picture with a physical product.

Other opinions here?