Label looks matte.

Started by Zvi, March 30, 2016, 10:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zvi

The label looks matte. How can I give it some specularity?
The gloss doesn't shines. Maybe  because of the plastic surface that reflected in. Is there anything to do to fix it?

Esben Oxholm

Hi Zvi.

What material is your label?
When you have applied a label, you can go to the label properties tab and change material type of the label.
Try to go with plastic, metal or metallic paint for a shiny label... for the metallic paint you can adjust the metal coverage, roughness and clear-coat roughness to get the look you want.

Also, do remember that for a shiny material the environment has a huge impact on the appearance.

Zvi

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on March 30, 2016, 01:06:18 PM
Hi Zvi.

What material is your label?
When you have applied a label, you can go to the label properties tab and change material type of the label.
Try to go with plastic, metal or metallic paint for a shiny label... for the metallic paint you can adjust the metal coverage, roughness and clear-coat roughness to get the look you want.

Also, do remember that for a shiny material the environment has a huge impact on the appearance.

Hi Esben,
I changed the environment and added a pin light on the label. I also made  the changes as you recommended, but I find it hard to see a difference.
By the way, I sent you today a message through your site, asking you for the details of your caustic scene. The link in the KeyShot site seems to be broken.

Finema

Hi,
Have you try with simple Metal Material ?

Zvi

Quote from: Finema on March 30, 2016, 08:43:17 PM
Hi,
Have you try with simple Metal Material ?

Yes, I tried, and there is no change, as you can see.

Esben Oxholm

QuoteBy the way, I sent you today a message through your site, asking you for the details of your caustic scene. The link in the KeyShot site seems to be broken.
Yup, I got it. The setup can be seen here: https://www.keyshot.com/2015/animation-of-the-week-keyshot-caustics/

QuoteYes, I tried, and there is no change, as you can see.
Actually, I see a change. Look at the top part of the label. There's a line where the color changes from dark grey to a lighter gray. I believe it is an reflection of your environment, which means that the label material behaves fine and you should focus on adjusting your HDRI to get the exact reflection that you want. Do you have access to the HDRI-editor?

Zvi

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on March 31, 2016, 02:21:07 AM
QuoteBy the way, I sent you today a message through your site, asking you for the details of your caustic scene. The link in the KeyShot site seems to be broken.
Yup, I got it. The setup can be seen here: https://www.keyshot.com/2015/animation-of-the-week-keyshot-caustics/

QuoteYes, I tried, and there is no change, as you can see.
Actually, I see a change. Look at the top part of the label. There's a line where the color changes from dark grey to a lighter gray. I believe it is an reflection of your environment, which means that the label material behaves fine and you should focus on adjusting your HDRI to get the exact reflection that you want. Do you have access to the HDRI-editor?

Hi Esben,
Thank you for answering me. I can see the change you signed. I added a pin light centered in the logo, by the HDR Editor, that's why I was hoping for more significant results.
I am trying to create a scene with caustics, following your setup, but I failed in presenting the caustic effect. I posted about it in the  HDRIs and Lighting
https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=12290.0. h
Hope you find time to see it.