Why are numbers added to material names ?

Started by luciel, April 05, 2016, 08:23:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luciel

This is a beginner's question. I'm a bit confused about the naming convention of materials. Why does Keyshot add a number to a material name, each time I add a material to a new part on the same model ? For example, if I drag and drop the « Aluminum Circular Mesh » material on one part of a model, and then drag and drop the same material on another part of the model, the name changes to « Aluminum Circular Mesh #1 ». From my point of view it seems confusing and unnecessary, but I'm sure there's a good reason. Can someone explain the logic ?

Thanks.

HaroldL

If you are getting the materials from the Library then you create a copy in the project, hence the numbers. You can also get your material from the Scene Material list. If you want the materials linked between parts that have the same material then use Copy (Shift LMB) from the first part and Paste (Shift RMB) to the subsequent part(s). Also, in the Scene Materials list you can shift select all materials that are the same and RMB Link materials.

luciel

Thanks for your reply and tips. I also just discovered this, which is what you were talking about I think in your last sentence. https://www.keyshot.com/2015/how-to-link-in-scene-materials-in-keyshot/. This will help a lot in cleaning up the materials list. Thanks again.