Scaling the menu and icons

Started by cosmicmartin, April 05, 2016, 11:41:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cosmicmartin

Hey guys,

Just got a new laptop 17 inch, 3840x2160 res. I am on the newest version and cant find how to scale the menu(like File, Edit, Environment.. and all other icons) , its super small now and I would have to use magnifying glass to actually work. I expected it to be somewhere under Preferences->User Interface, but nothing is there.

Thanks!

HaroldL

I have the same issue on my laptop. Native resolution is so small as to be unreadable.
Assuming you have Windows 10, RMB on the Desktop and navigate the menus

cosmicmartin

Hmmmm, whats the point of high res screen if you cant use it. :) so I don't think changing the res is the right solution. The same problem appears in other apps too, like Adobe Illustrator... I found something that might solve it (haven't tried it yet) -   http://www.danantonielli.com/adobe-app-scaling-on-high-dpi-displays-fix/   

I wonder would it be possible to apply something similar on Keyshot too.

HaroldL

Wow, I had no idea. :o That's a great find.
I suppose if I'd have done a search I might have found that but I need ALL the apps to be "enlarged", including my desktop icons. From what I've read it doesn't seem to work for those. I even run my browser at 150% so I can read it.
But if it helps in the apps that would be great and may be good enough.
Keep us posted on how it works.

cosmicmartin

I have tried to apply that method from the link above. For illustrator it works fine. Obviously the resolution of the UI should drop  then, and it did at first, I have saved the file and then reopened and  surprisingly the resolution fixed its self somehow. So when I run Illsutrator it doesnt have superb res, but when open existing Illustrator document its all good, its on a workable scale and perfect res.

The same method works for Keyshot too, the only different thing in the process is to properly name .manifest file (in my case it was keyshot6.exe.manifest). However, the res dropped and didnt come back as it did on illustrator. It is definitely workable, but again a bit annoying not to employ my super good screen :)

In terms of other software, I think many apps have a proper built-in scaling, I use Chrome and no need for any zoom in. And lets say in photoshop there is UI scaling, but you can only set it to 200%, and it lays under Edit-> Preferences ->Experimental Features. Experimental features  really? No one thinks that such density screens are reality already :DD