Interior mode question

Started by rfollett, April 05, 2016, 01:17:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfollett

I have created a simple auditorium scene and was hoping that the interior mode would light up but all my readers inside are still very dark?

Have I mis-understood the interior mode ?

What would the grown-ups do?

rfollett

here is the render

TpwUK

If this was a real auditorium then it would have additional light sources. Spot lights in the ceiling, stage lights for lecturers or speakers. There is no need for the open back as this prevents the scene from being a true interior. So you need to add light from IES files that simulate the type of lighting that will be used and your drawing would need to accurately scaled with units in KS set to suit.

Martin

rfollett

Thanks Martin
I do understand and appriciate what you are saying.  But what I dont understand is that when I see some of the new KS6 renders with just a few windows they are all perfectly lit with no additional light hence my question.

I presumed that with no back wall the light would flood in and light the scene?
Thanks

richardfunnell

The interior mode is optimized for enclosed spaces, so removing a wall or ceiling actually reduces its effectiveness.

Some of those interiors that you mention also have invisible fill lights (Area light diffuse) that add to the overall illumination in the room. By making them invisible, you can add a bit of extra light and position them exactly where you need them in the scene.

rfollett

So I closed the back of the auditorium and tried to render again and was pitch dark.. as I would expect..

Is it possible to render a closed box type scene without adding lights everywhere?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question .. any help would be much apprciated.

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: rfollett on April 05, 2016, 07:58:24 AM
Is it possible to render a closed box type scene without adding lights everywhere?

You would need to have some sort of light source within your scene to be able to see something - just like in real life.
And for a huge room like your auditorium you would need quite a lot of light output to be able to see your surroundings.

There is often a lot of dimmed sources turned on in an auditorium during presentations to get a decent level of ambient lighting.
Try to take a look at all these reference images and note the lighting setup: https://goo.gl/Lz5Ocl

rfollett

So the short answer is NO.. I just wanted to render an interior and be able to see all the materials WITHOUT having to add loads of IES lights.
Thanks for your help

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: rfollett on April 05, 2016, 08:19:59 AM
So the short answer is NO.. I just wanted to render an interior and be able to see all the materials WITHOUT having to add loads of IES lights.
Thanks for your help
Oh, okay. Have you tried putting in a big plane with an area light material on it?

rfollett

yes I have tried that but then you end up with a massive light in the scene...

This image only has one light source but you can see everything - so I think I am missing a very big trick somewhere!!

rfollett

Any chance someone can create me a basic scene setup to light an inside space so I understand ?

Esben Oxholm

I don't know how the light is setup specifically in that scene, but if you don't want to see the area light you can go into the material options and (as Richard says) hide the source. See below. Hope it helps.

JST

You appear to have a large blank lit-up screen in the model, so why is that not acting to provide light?

It seems that your screen ought to be lighting the place in a way similar to the window in the other interior, but not so brilliant.  So you may have to make it an emissive material and play with the brightness to get it realistic. 

Possibly it is actually diffuse reflective and just picking up the light from the open side?

The others are correct that there would be other light sources.   End of aisle lights, directed downwards at the floor,    probably exit signs, and the like, plus of course the screen if you are showing it in use.

If you actually got "pitch dark", make sure you moved the camera to a location that was not inside a wall.  Yeah, it sounds stupidly obvious, but it can still catch you.

Will Gibbons

As JST wrote, you may have not applied the correct light material if you want the screen to be your main light source.

Also, although I feel it was implied by everyone else here, one thing nobody mentioned is that the reason you see interiors lit with no visible lights is because they've relied on the HDRI to be the light source. With the transparency of the glass (windows) allowing the light from the HDRI to illuminate the space.

But as others mentioned, KeyShot works well when creating realistic light sources. Expecting a room to be lit when there aren't any additional lights is not so realistic.

Hope that helps clarify.