Main Menu

Automotive Renders

Started by PrasanDR, April 27, 2016, 06:07:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrasanDR

Will probably just use this as a thread to keep some of the work I do in the same spot :) all constructive criticism is welcomed as I am still fairly new to the program. Feedback would also be great on renders and tips :D Starting off with the last few projects I've attempted. Newer and hopefully improved work will be on the next pages of the threads!

Will Gibbons

Hi, PrasanDR

Welcome and thanks for sharing some renderings. Since you asked for it, I'll offer a few items for you to consider which should help improve your results.

1. Your materials look glossier and a bit too reflective in some cases. Try adding a tiny bit of surface roughness to tone those down a bit.
2. Be careful when scaling textures. For example, your ground in the first image looks a bit pixelated. If you're scaling up an image or texture too high (except for procedurals), it's going to pixelate and make your scene/image less realistic.
3. Saturation is a stylistic and preference thing, however, I'd use extreme saturation sparingly. Refer to some automotive photos you like and see how they handle saturation.

I think if you consider just those items, you'll see some noticeable improvement.

Good luck!

PrasanDR

And one more :) with a darker environment

Will Gibbons

Hey,

I think that low, 3/4 front view of the white one is pretty good.

A couple items to look out for. First, the highlighted surfaces look a bit overexposed. Second, at the bottom of the image where you have your ground plane and your water, it looks a bit odd and pixelated. Be careful as to not scale up the ground plane textures too big. If you use procedural textures, you'll avoid the pixelation issue. Also, the reflections looked a bit odd in the water on the ground plane. Do you know the size of your lighting environment? If you're rendering out very large images (over 3K), you'll probably see some jagged highlights and reflections. The default HDRI in KeyShot is not very large. I recommend making your own new HDRI if you're on KeyShot Pro.

Lastly, I think you can still stand to desaturate your renderings a bit and I noticed some odd tessellation in the license plate. May look better without that. Otherwise, you could attempt to fix it using the KeyShot geometry editor, but that might be a tough one to fix.

Keep on practicing!

Will Gibbons

Quote from: PrasanDR on May 16, 2016, 11:32:24 PM
Quote from: willgibbonsdesign on May 16, 2016, 08:30:51 AM
Hey,

I think that low, 3/4 front view of the white one is pretty good.

A couple items to look out for. First, the highlighted surfaces look a bit overexposed. Second, at the bottom of the image where you have your ground plane and your water, it looks a bit odd and pixelated. Be careful as to not scale up the ground plane textures too big. If you use procedural textures, you'll avoid the pixelation issue. Also, the reflections looked a bit odd in the water on the ground plane. Do you know the size of your lighting environment? If you're rendering out very large images (over 3K), you'll probably see some jagged highlights and reflections. The default HDRI in KeyShot is not very large. I recommend making your own new HDRI if you're on KeyShot Pro.

Lastly, I think you can still stand to desaturate your renderings a bit and I noticed some odd tessellation in the license plate. May look better without that. Otherwise, you could attempt to fix it using the KeyShot geometry editor, but that might be a tough one to fix.

Keep on practicing!

Thank you very much! Really appreciate the feedback and suggestions. I will certainly take these on board, unfortunately with my license plate, i'm not too certain on how to get a fix working for it as I modified it on blender, yet somehow it still came up with the weird tessellation. I may give the geometry editor a go, specially since I have never really used it before! Also I don't think I fully understood the term of "procedural textures", may google it up and have a further look into it as well :) Thanks once again.

Think of procedurals as vector graphics... they're math-based, not pixel-based, so they can scale infinitely and not get blurry. Wikipedia is your best friend when it comes to these more complex CGI, rendering, photography and physics terms.

As for the license plate, it may be best if you just hide if (if you can't fix it). Just personal preference. Otherwise, fix it in Photoshop using the clone tool.

PrasanDR

A very cool BMW M4 F82 that I recently came across was glorious to work on! Unfortunately my interior leather looked very off :( At least I learned how to get the button labels working on the interior which was a delightful discovery!

NM-92

That interior is looking good ! I think the leather just need to be scaled right, but nothing else. Good work !

Hossein Alfideh

Quote from: NM-92 on June 04, 2016, 08:17:05 PM
That interior is looking good ! I think the leather just need to be scaled right, but nothing else. Good work !

Agreed! Very nice work here!
You could add leather stitches to that red line on the seats to make it look much better.

PrasanDR

Quote from: Hossein Alfideh on June 05, 2016, 12:16:02 AM
Quote from: NM-92 on June 04, 2016, 08:17:05 PM

Agreed! Very nice work here!
You could add leather stitches to that red line on the seats to make it look much better.

Ahh thankyou very much! Unfortunately it didn't occur to me that the leather texture could be rescaled (which was stupid on my behalf) but I did manage to fix it a short while after! 

NM-92

PrasanDR

Some more work on a Pagani Huayra this time :) let me know what you think!

boyd_747

V-Rey

the pagani beyond my conception of reality  :o :o :o

PrasanDR

Hey guys :)

Just a Lexus RC350 this time in a more darker, night setting. Not sure which one I liked more, so I uploaded both! Comment which one you'd prefer and any feedback is always welcomed!

Regards,
Prasan R

SebasDesign

These are looking great! Can I ask where did you get the Huayra from? I reeealy want to model that car