Labels: Projection mapping,Planar mapping, production workflow, LARGE data base.

Started by joshpurple, June 14, 2016, 09:36:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joshpurple

Hi, and Thank You for your time and help, I sincerely appreciate it (first post).

Putting label on with Planar Projection, Normal Projection, (UV it),  -how to resolve most efficiently (avoid issues)

- please feel free to see the attachment -

I have searched on this, and there appear to be a number of ways to resolve this issue (Thank You for having excellent threads to search on, great forum :) ! ), but, the greatest challenge is, at my work, we have a very large data base of engineering devices, ~ 50,000.

Anything that needs to be done, could be repeated 1,000 times or more...   
At work with Keyshot, we are hoping to use the most efficient method possible.   

Some approaches used / ideas so far  (we get the devices from Creo, using the Keyshot plugin for Creo.  We 'graphic people' do not get to use Creo) ;

1.  Use planar mapping.    Shows up on opposite side, so;
      1a.  Break the part up > Edit Geo.   This is o.k., it can take a lot of time,  -breaking one of these parts = creating a lot of additional parts, etc.

2.  Use Normal Projection.   With a good bit of time spent on it (testing it, trying different camera angles, as straight as possible, using Orthographic, etc. ), the label will get cut off on small parts (as shown on attached image example, red arrows).   
One method that might work to fix this might be (but I have not had luck yet);
      2a.  Adjust the normals in Keyshot (which is GREAT to have as an option in Keyshot :) ! ).   Result; label still gets cut off.

3.  Have the engineers break the Creo part up.  That would be great, but, currently not possible (might be someday :) ).

4.  Open the part up in Max / Maya / Blender / etc. and UV map it.   Adds a step(s) we are hoping to avoid...  (lots o' reasons).

5.  Is there a plugin / script / cmd /  out there for this that I might be missing?

6.  Should I import the Creo file differently? 

7.  I'm guessing there's just a better approach at doing the Normal Projection, -where it would work without getting cut off?

8.  Is it best just to Duplicate the part, and 'fudge' it (scale one dup just .000001 smaller, then push the dup part's label through the original mesh, where it's just barely showing) ?   <--these parts are not always flat surfaces, etc. (which kinda' leads to #9). 
        8a.   And/Or, use a png transparency on the dup object, where the entire duplicated object is just the label showing, etc.

9.  Create a flat plane in Keyshot > put a png transparency of the label on it (so it's just the label) > put on device (when possible, parts are not always flat, etc.).
----------------
10.  It seems like, if we could use a Planar Projection, with the option of turning off/blocking/masking/ the projection going through > done.
          (I'm probably a newbie missing on the 'How To' on that :) ).

Thank you again for any of your time and help, corrections welcomed :D !   I'm glad to learn, & Keyshot has been exceptional!!  (luv it :) ! ).

All my best!

bdesign

My first suggestion would be to increase the Depth under the Normal Projection options until the label is fully visible. This is usually the cause of what is happening in your image.

Eric

joshpurple

Quote from: TpwUK on June 14, 2016, 10:17:52 AM
-excellent, obvious video :D , here -
will probably be your friend here

Martin

Quote from: bdesign on June 14, 2016, 10:22:38 AM
My first suggestion would be to increase the Depth under the Normal Projection options until the label is fully visible. This is usually the cause of what is happening in your image.

Eric

Yes :D !   
Thank You Eric! 
Thank You Martin!   

Depth!    (feeling & looking silly  :o  )   That's it, great!   

Thanks again  :) !

bdesign

You're welcome, Josh. Glad to help. Don't feel silly...I think the Depth issue has probably puzzled many of us here at some point :)

Eric

joshpurple

Quote from: bdesign on June 14, 2016, 10:55:53 AM
You're welcome, Josh. Glad to help. Don't feel silly...I think the Depth issue has probably puzzled many of us here at some point :)

Eric

Thanks Eric :) !     And how GREAT that it's such a quick fix!    ( x 1,000  :D  !  )