Lock labels position onto a saved material ????

Started by Jackies, April 29, 2016, 09:08:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackies

Hi,
I work on a travel retail space and i have to display hundreds of bottle which has 5 different labels each.

When I save my material ( with all the labels), and apply it to the exactly the same shape: the material is there, but labels are placed in a different way and they even didn't keep the right size (pic1). I have to move them one by one to the right position.
Which means: Waste of billions of hours and have differences between each bottle (i'm human !)

Already tried hold cmd and swipe on the new object... but it doesn't work.
SAVE ME !!

rfollett

I get same issue - drives me up the wall - any answers yet?

Will Gibbons

Hey,

Have you considered or tried using the pattern function? Any time I've done retail space renderings where I spend some time setting up labels or packaging or models with complex textures such as light fixtures, I just make patterns with them.

To use the pattern tool in KeyShot, you need to know that you can only pattern complete models, not bodies within models. The solution here is to import one of your bottles into your KeyShot scene as an individual 3D file. You can probably save a duplicate of your interior scene, then delete all the geometry EXCEPT for one of your bottles. When you import it, select 'add to scene' and select 'keep original' which will respect your 3D scene's location and scale. See image below of import dialogue.

At this point, your bottle should be imported and in the location you want it at the scale you want it. Next, apply your labels and materials as needed.

Now, the fun part: In the scene tree, right-click on your bottle model and select 'make pattern'. Go through the dialogue box to create an instanced array of your bottle whether you want it on a shelf or other surface. You can get some slight random scattering by adjusting the pattern settings.

One thing to note: If you don't uncheck the center and resize environment boxes at the bottom of the pattern tool dialogue box, your bottle will get moved and the scene scaled (which, in this case, you wouldn't want).

Let me know if this helps. Keep in mind, that you'll want to set up your labels first since the pattern is based upon that first model, but everything else won't update unless you link materials. In this case, I think labels won't update. Additionally, if you can get your pattern near-perfect, but want to hide a bottle or two, you can always choose to hide and lock a bottle from the pattern.

Jackies

Waaaaaaaouuuuuuuuu !!!!
Its amazing!!
Thank you soooooo much !!!

Will Gibbons

Quote from: Jackies on June 01, 2016, 12:35:56 AM
Waaaaaaaouuuuuuuuu !!!!
Its amazing!!
Thank you soooooo much !!!

Glad I could help!  ;D ;D ;D