Main Menu

Tesla Model S

Started by Magnus Skogsfjord, May 04, 2016, 04:00:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnus Skogsfjord

So, I'm almost a bit nervous to dive into the world of automotive rendering, since there are so many skilled artists on that subject here. To be honest,  I've kinda postponed this until now.

I've downloaded a model from turbosquid, given that a customer wanted to have some visualization done by using a Tesla as a subject. This is not, however, related to the following images, but I wanted to have some practice before making the final ones.

I'm starting off with a detail shot, and will add more shots as soon as they are done:) And as always, any feedback is greatly appreciated.

4k available here.

KS6 + minor Photoshop.

EDIT: Adjusted the slightly burned out rim and rotated the center logo in the rim after reviews from Esben Oxholm & Chad Holton (thanks!)

TpwUK

I don't think you need to shy away from automotive renders with shots like that Magnus. If that's your first attempt at vehicle rendering then you have a very good eye for it and will be serious contender in the future. Keep 'em coming dude !! :P

Martin

Speedster

Beautiful!  I think Master Tim will have some comments, like "Bring 'em on"! 
Bill G

NM-92

Really nice ! I like that HDRI

Chad Holton

Rim may be a little hot, but over all, a really nice job and agree with Martin.  8)

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: TpwUK on May 04, 2016, 05:55:20 AM
I don't think you need to shy away from automotive renders with shots like that Magnus. If that's your first attempt at vehicle rendering then you have a very good eye for it and will be serious contender in the future. Keep 'em coming dude !! :P
Hah, thanks Martin! Always nice to hear your thoughts. To be completely honest, I'm not very interested in cars either, but I gotta say, I can definitely understand the addiction to it. Lots of fun with this.

Quote from: Speedster on May 04, 2016, 09:00:22 AM
Beautiful!  I think Master Tim will have some comments, like "Bring 'em on"! 
Thanks Bill! Yeah, if someone can point out my potential wrongdoings, it's him. Either way, the real challenge comes to an overview shot in my opinion.

Quote from: NM-92 on May 04, 2016, 09:43:56 AM
Really nice ! I like that HDRI
Thanks! Yes, it is a great environment:)

Quote from: Chad Holton on May 04, 2016, 12:01:39 PM
Rim may be a little hot, but over all, a really nice job and agree with Martin.  8)
Thank you! Yes, I noticed that myself. A tad burned out on the left side there.

Alang7™

NormanHadley

This is an extremely impressive image, Magnus. Can you share a little of your workflow on how you achieved such realism in the tyres?

Esben Oxholm

This is awesome, Magnus.
Love your material work on the tires and brakes. Looks great!

Two minor(!) comments:
1. The top cropping at the rear mirror looks a tad odd. Looks like it is almost tangential.
2. The tire seems to be positioned very precise to have that tesla logo in the rim be exactly straight up and down. A slight rotation will help on the realism... but depends of the purpose of course.

Keep it up, dude!

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: Alang7™ on May 04, 2016, 03:43:12 PM
Great job! :)
Thanks man!

Quote from: NormanHadley on May 05, 2016, 03:53:45 AM
This is an extremely impressive image, Magnus. Can you share a little of your workflow on how you achieved such realism in the tyres?
Thanks Norman. Greatly appreciate it! And sure, have a look at the material graph attached to the bottom. The realism probably comes from the roughness map, which is a slightly adjusted specular map for a copper material. I don't remember the origin of this texture, but I've attached it below. The bump map for the tire writings is not my doing, as it was attached with the model I purchased. Keep in mind that I adjust the brightness/contrast for this roughness map depending on the lighting to get the look I'm after.

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on May 05, 2016, 04:47:36 AM
This is awesome, Magnus.
Love your material work on the tires and brakes. Looks great!

Two minor(!) comments:
1. The top cropping at the rear mirror looks a tad odd. Looks like it is almost tangential.
2. The tire seems to be positioned very precise to have that tesla logo in the rim be exactly straight up and down. A slight rotation will help on the realism... but depends of the purpose of course.
Always a helping hand! Great feedback. Thanks. Now, I'm not sure how to handle the tangent you point out. Are you suggesting to change the angle of the image? I can see your point though.
When it comes to the logo rotation, I've updated the image, and I agree that this situation looks a tad better:)

Magnus Skogsfjord

Overwhelming feedback so far! Thank you all. Anyway, here's two fresh ones:

4k logo
4k rear light

NormanHadley

Utterly stunning work.

Will Gibbons

Magnus, I saw these on Instagram this morning and was blown away. They look even better online! 'Mazing work man.

Magnus Skogsfjord

Thank you both Norman & Will!

Now, here's a couple of first ones for the company that requested the images. The first one is okay I guess, but I've gone blind on the speed shot. Not sure what's wrong, but there is something(?)

NormanHadley

Yes, the first one is good but the second has a couple of details that don't seem quite right. The shadows from the car point straight down the road whereas the shadows on  the tree appear to my eye to be quite oblique. Also, how about putting  motion blur on the car body instead of the road? The verge looks unsuited to a moving-point camera (unless taken by a very fast, low-flying drone).