Main Menu

Tesla Model S

Started by Magnus Skogsfjord, May 04, 2016, 04:00:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esben Oxholm

Great starting point!
A few comments:

On the first one you crop the image right at the top of the car. I think it will look better if there's a little space between the roof of the car and the edge of the image. Either that or crop the car further down.

For the second image.
The thing that I find most disturbing is the fact that the rear of the car is blurred while the front is not. I'm not sure of this would be possible in real life unless the rear is moving in another pace than the front... which I guess is not intended :)

I'll also chime in on the shadow issue that Norman mentions. Try adjust it to fit the same angle as the trees.

Looking forward to the update.

Josh3D

Very nice Magnus. Definitely looking forward to more auto shots now :)

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: NormanHadley on May 08, 2016, 11:28:13 PM
The shadows from the car point straight down the road whereas the shadows on  the tree appear to my eye to be quite oblique. Also, how about putting  motion blur on the car body instead of the road? The verge looks unsuited to a moving-point camera (unless taken by a very fast, low-flying drone).
Thanks for your input Norman. It actually does look a bit strange yes, but the environment is pretty accurately positioned in relation to the backplate, so I'm not sure if this is causing the problem. It doesn't appear clearly in the backplate, but the tree shadows are coming from trees further down the road. Still, I think you are right that the shadows are a major culprit here. I tried to do a test with your suggestion, but then the road reflections caused another bit of trouble.
Regarding the motion blur, I'm not sure if I want to put motion blur on the entire car body, since this should be in focus(?)

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on May 09, 2016, 01:44:47 AM
On the first one you crop the image right at the top of the car. I think it will look better if there's a little space between the roof of the car and the edge of the image. Either that or crop the car further down.
Absolutely. Good call!

The thing that I find most disturbing is the fact that the rear of the car is blurred while the front is not. I'm not sure of this would be possible in real life unless the rear is moving in another pace than the front... which I guess is not intended :)
Yes, this is actually done deliberately, to capture something similar to this reference image:
However, it's maybe a bit over the top?

Quote from: Josh Mings on May 09, 2016, 09:16:59 AM
Very nice Magnus. Definitely looking forward to more auto shots now :)
Thanks Josh! Always appreciated:) Not sure if there's gonna be too many auto shots, but it's definitely challenging and fun.

Esben Oxholm

Yes, this is actually done deliberately, to capture something similar to this reference image:

Ya, maybe. I don't know. If I had the choice I wouldn't do any blur on the rear, as I think it looks a bit odd. Also on you reference.
It is probably just a personal preference, so do whatever makes you (and the client) happy :)

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on May 10, 2016, 07:33:23 AM
Ya, maybe. I don't know. If I had the choice I wouldn't do any blur on the rear, as I think it looks a bit odd. Also on you reference.
It is probably just a personal preference, so do whatever makes you (and the client) happy :)

Ya well, don't get me wrong though, it's not gonna be included in the next effort :)

Arian Shamil

LOVE it!!!! I like it very much! The materials, lights....all fit well :)

Despot

Love the 1st 2nd & 3rd ones Magnus, very nice indeed for a virgin car render :)

Magnus Skogsfjord

Cheers Arian, John! Much obliged.

Magnus Skogsfjord

Alright, second try for a speed shot after feedback from Norman&Esben. Thanks! Such great and valuable assistance from trained eyes in this community. So, keep on knitpicking on this car virgin renderer if you have anything.

Also: I tried to add some custom lighting to this setup by adding some blending pins to the HDRI for this image, but I wasn't able to make it look good at all. It just looked oversaturated at the lighted areas. Using "add" didn't do much either. Is IES lighting the way to go in this case?

Esben Oxholm

Hey Magnus.
Better, but I still think you can improve!

It looks like your background motion blur is at the same amount across the entire image.
Would it be possible for you to adjust it to be more prominent close to the camera and less in the far distance?

Take a look at this Volvo image for reference: http://assets.volvocars.com/~/media/images/galleries/new-cars/v40cc/gallery/gallery_1_exterior/volvo_v40_cross_country_3.jpg?w=4096

Hope it helps :)

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on May 15, 2016, 12:27:22 AM
It looks like your background motion blur is at the same amount across the entire image.
Would it be possible for you to adjust it to be more prominent close to the camera and less in the far distance?
Take a look at this Volvo image for reference: http://themeforest.net/item/oshine-creative-multipurpose-wordpress-theme/full_screen_preview/9545812

Thank you for taking the time, Esben. However, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this, as the reference link seems to be pointing at a wordpress theme. Would you mind review that link?

Will Gibbons

Quote from: Magnus Skogsfjord on May 16, 2016, 03:36:16 AM
Quote from: Esben Oxholm on May 15, 2016, 12:27:22 AM
Take a look at this Volvo image for reference: http://themeforest.net/item/oshine-creative-multipurpose-wordpress-theme/full_screen_preview/9545812

Thank you for taking the time, Esben. However, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this, as the reference link seems to be pointing at a wordpress theme. Would you mind review that link?

I think what Esben is pointing out is that the backplate motion blur is going to be most extreme closer to the camera. This is a stylistic thing that seems to be done incorrectly to achieve a certain look. I think it's another case of personal preference. However, the further your subject or environment is from your lens, the less motion blur it will have.

Here's a resource that might help you achieve more realism: http://canon5dtips.com/photo/shooting-car-in-motion-car-photography/

I agree with your thoughts on it being a bit oversaturated. Also, seems like the car could stand to be highlighted a bit better while still respecting the environment/backplate.

Esben Oxholm

Damn right... Linked has been corrected.
http://assets.volvocars.com/~/media/images/galleries/new-cars/v40cc/gallery/gallery_1_exterior/volvo_v40_cross_country_3.jpg?w=4096

To chime in on Will's explanation, objects that are far away will move less (at least visually because of perspective) and therefore will have less motion blur. Some people might exaggerate this effect, but I think it is the more correct (and better looking imo) solution compared to an equally blurred background... :)

hope it helped?

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: willgibbonsdesign on May 16, 2016, 08:20:16 AM
I think what Esben is pointing out is that the backplate motion blur is going to be most extreme closer to the camera. This is a stylistic thing that seems to be done incorrectly to achieve a certain look. I think it's another case of personal preference. However, the further your subject or environment is from your lens, the less motion blur it will have.

Here's a resource that might help you achieve more realism: http://canon5dtips.com/photo/shooting-car-in-motion-car-photography/

I agree with your thoughts on it being a bit oversaturated. Also, seems like the car could stand to be highlighted a bit better while still respecting the environment/backplate.

Thanks for your input Will! Interesting read you posted there. Especially that final section there. I've always wondered if the motion blur could be in a circular(ish) motion, as opposed to strictly linear. Guess it's kinda obvious, but I haven't found any good example on it (until now).

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on May 16, 2016, 09:41:14 AM
Damn right... Linked has been corrected.
http://assets.volvocars.com/~/media/images/galleries/new-cars/v40cc/gallery/gallery_1_exterior/volvo_v40_cross_country_3.jpg?w=4096

To chime in on Will's explanation, objects that are far away will move less (at least visually because of perspective) and therefore will have less motion blur. Some people might exaggerate this effect, but I think it is the more correct (and better looking imo) solution compared to an equally blurred background... :)

Ahh, I have never noticed that. Didn't encounter that effect on my shallow research on the subject. That helps alot! Thanks! I've given it a new shot based on the new input from you guys. Let me know if you still find something off. Great stuff!

Edit: Throwing in a studio shot as well. Fresh out of the..bakery..hm.

NM-92

That studio shot is great. Do you add that particles/dust in post production ? It looks great