Should I upgrade from v3?

Started by misterrogers, April 22, 2016, 11:25:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

misterrogers

I'm no expert on KS and still use v3, but I'm considering an upgrade to the latest version if it means more benefit. 

A small background on me, I design fairly simple furniture and accents (including a bit of lighting) but that's it.  No animation.  I use the same materials over and over: plywood, various species of solid wood, laminates, metal and various woven material.   Everything I do has a plain white environment and I usually render without any ground shadows.   Its mostly used for sales material.

Based on this, can anyone give me their honest feedback about the latest version of KS and how it might be able to help me?   Or if you think its not necessary to upgrade due to my work's simplicity,  please share your thoughts as well.

Chad Holton

Hello,

A few questions first:

What version are you using (CAD, HD or Pro)?
What version are you wanting to upgrade to?
Have you tested out version 6 at all?

Chad

LayC42

so never change a running system. If v3 is good for you, then keep it.
The UI is more complex, also the capabilities.
The first benefit would be the scripting console. This will bring you hundreds of renders with no manual work. Then there are plenty of new procedural textures like wood advanced and occlusion. And a million ways to combine them with textures and filters and mixed materials.
The new interior mode enables to render a Showroom with your furniture parts. You'll find many examples in this forum.

But if you don't need this at all - keep your running system. Cause KS6 isn't easy to use as v3 - but it's cool to play with the hole new stuff - definitely!!! It changes the way to impress yourself!

misterrogers

Sorry for the extremely late reply but nevertheless thanks for your responses.

Currently I'm using Shark  (encore) – similar to ViaCad, Ashlar Vellum Graphite/Cobalt, TurboCad.   Lately I'm also messing around with FormZ 8.5. 

The scripting sounds very complex for my feeble brain.  I was never the programmer type unfortunately.  Is it a very steep learning curve?

I haven't tested out v6 but I will shortly. 

I do use my renderings as a sales tool, so the more realistic I can get the wood grain, metal, paint, wicker etc the better.    If that sounds like what v6 can do, then that's a big check mark.   The thing I really like about v3 is how easy it is to use.  Being able to adjust so many factors is fantastic!

LayC42

There you have your decision. Play with KS6 and watch some of the cool tutorials, webinars and quick tips in Luxion's YouTube channel (YouTube.com/user/keyshot3d).

I'm sure that if the new UI is OK for ya, then you'll have much fun with V6.1 (lastest version)

May ask your reseller. Some offer update workshops.

Will Gibbons

If I'm not wrong, the lighting algorithm in KS6 is different than that used in KS3. That alone should result in the program running more efficiently on your machine as well as increasing realism.

You said the more realistic your textures look, the easier it is to sell the designs. KS6 does give you more freedom when it comes to editing and authoring textures. That's a feature. The benefit of that feature is better looking and more accurate materials.

Definitely try out 6 free from the KS website.

guest84672

That is correct. Plus every release of KeyShot is getting faster, in addition to all the new features.