label registration question

Started by Speedster, May 07, 2016, 08:09:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedster

Hi all;

Hope someone can offer advice!

I have to apply a label to the surface of an embossed silicone membrane overlay, in which the SolidWorks model has all the buttons embossed (raised- "de-bossed"?) for tactile feedback.

The label, a .png created from the master .ai file, is exactly the same size as the silicone membrane.  But when I import the label, it comes in smaller than the membrane.  I have to scale it to fit, but actually also have to tweak x/y scaling as well as shift to get it to align.  Not perfect yet, as the buttons and LED windows are round.  I can't share the label, unfortunately.

Is there any way to tell the label to import at the exact size as it was created?  Am I missing something?

On 6.2.57 beta.

Thanks!!!

Bill G

Esben Oxholm

There is something about keeping the DPI consistent.

If you have created the label in the correct scale in AI and then output it at e.g. 300 DPI, then (as far as I have understood) if you under 'label texture' mark the 'DPI' checkbox and type in '300', then the label (if your model is in correct scale as well) should be in the correct scale.

I have never tried out this workflow myself, so I might be wrong.

Best,

DMerz III

I'll second Esben's comment.

A few of things that help when I am applying a label I created in AI.

1.) Create a square artboard of your artwork in Illustrator, even if you have a wider label than it is high, use the largest dimension and square it.
This makes it easy to scale without distortion in Keyshot, as the label x and y will always be the same. Having transparency on in the excess areas allows for this.

2.) Export the .PNG at 600 pixels per inch (or DPI) or higher, I sometimes will do as high as 1200 DPI.

3.) Open that .PNG in Photoshop, check Image Size settings and be sure it is correction in inches/mm/cm and it is the DPI you want.

4.) When you place the label, there is a DPI checkbox towards the bottom of the properties, here you can enter 600 or 1200 dpi whichever you decided to go with, and it should be to scale.

Minor note, make sure your scene units are correct in the Edit tab within Keyshot.

Hope some of that was insightful.

guest84672

As it turned out, the label was incorrect. Bill got the new artwork, and it all worked as expected.

Speedster

Yep- setting the DPI to match the (now) exact size artwork on the label tab did the trick.

But more important, because I was unable to line everything up, my client went back in and discovered that their AI artwork did not match the SolidWorks model!  So they fixed it, I was able to drop it in with perfect alignment with one click, AND they caught their screwup just a day before they were going to release it to their vendor to print like 20,000 of the bad art!

Proves yet another advantage of using KeyShot!

Thanks to all for your help!

Bill G

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: Speedster on May 16, 2016, 04:00:34 PM
But more important, because I was unable to line everything up, my client went back in and discovered that their SI artwork did not match the SolidWorks model!  So they fixed it, I was able to drop it in with perfect alignment with one click, AND they caught their screwup just a day before they were going to release it to their vendor to print like 20,000 of the bad art!

Wow, great caught!