Fender Pro Series In-Ear Monitors

Started by Esben Oxholm, May 12, 2016, 12:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esben Oxholm

Hi all.

Here's a fun project I did for the great guys at Fender:

Fender provided me with the music, a storyboard and the CAD-data. From here I did the materials, lighting and animation inside KeyShot.
I used 3DOTP.com to get all 1920x1080 frames rendered out during one day which was a great time saver. Highly recommendable if you need to save some time.

The individual scenes where blended together in After Effects where I also added the copy.

I also did a few still renderings of the in-ears for the campaign here:
http://intl.fender.com/en-DK/features/in-ear-monitor-series/

Let me know if you have any questions :)

Magnus Skogsfjord

That's so awesome, Esben. Maybe your best work yet. Love the pace and camera movements.

Congrats!

NM-92

Agree with Magnus here. I watched this like 10-15 times and i was amazed every single time i pressed the play button. Everything is just perfect. Congratulations.

maf1909

Mind if I ask what materials you used to make the metallic paint look like that? It looks awesome!

DriesV

That is looking slick, Esben!
(Proud to have touched this KeyShot scene for a second... :D)

Dries

Chad Holton

Very very nice work! Thanks for sharing.

Esben Oxholm

Thanks guys.
Much appreciated!

@maf1909: I'll get back later this week explaining how the material is set up.

Zvi

Great!
Did you make the special camera movements by time remapping in Ae? Please, give us details.

Esben Oxholm

Material setup:
1. Main material is a metallic paint with tiny camouflage textures in base, metal and metal coverage to create subtle flakes.
2-3 For the more visible flakes, three metal materials has been layered on top. Two with red hues and one white.  A opacity map consisting of a black/white camouflage texture mixed with a black/white color gradient has been applied to each metal material to have the different flakes be visible at different angles.

@Zvi:
Thanks. No remapping has been done for the final renderings. The short and fast zooms at e.g. 0:08 is done in post, though.

I used remapping when working with preview renderings to get the timing right. When I has satisfied with that, I adjusted my KeyShot animation to reflect it. This way I only had to render out the exact number of frames needed in high quality.

Zvi

Thanks a lot Esben. By the way I posted this morning a problem with  glass material in the material forum, I would be grateful if you could see my problem.

maf1909

Thanks for the explanation, that should help me a ton.  Excellent work!

NM-92

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: NM-92 on May 17, 2016, 09:28:46 AM
Wow , that's complex.
Yeah, it became a bit complex and I'm not sure that it is actually the best way to achieve this result... but it worked for the purpose and the deadline didn't allow for further optimisation :)

Will Gibbons

Great work, Esben! Always a treat seeing your work. Impressive material work there.

Tim