Poliigon Textures

Started by richardfunnell, May 12, 2016, 01:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richardfunnell

For those of you looking for high quality image textures that can be used in KeyShot, check out Poliigon: http://poliigon.com

This blog post has more information about the launch, but it may be a great resource for high resolution images. Luxion doesn't currently have any formal association with them, but the content seems to be top notch. I've attached a few quick images created using their textures; the image name includes the texture used.

Launch post here: http://www.blenderguru.com/articles/introducing-poliigon-new-texture-site/

Esben Oxholm

Thanks for heads-up, Richard.

It's always great with another ressource site.
That reflection in the last material is looking sweet!

richardfunnell

Thanks Esben!  Mappable roughness may be one of my favorite features in KS6, and I've shown a few of your examples that use roughness textures in trainings & customer demos :)

Finema

Thanks Richard for this link !
can you show us or share  your material  using  Metal Grime 006
I can't reproduce it
Thanks a lot

richardfunnell

Attached is a breakdown of the material graph, and here are the modifications I made to textures & settings:
Material: Plastic (Transparent) Diffuse color was black, Refraction Index of 2.
Textures: Specular, Roughness & Normal.
- I changed the projection to Planar Y since this was a flat surface, giving me better results for the Normal Map.
- The roughness was controlled using the Color to Number Utility Node; this allowed me to control the output to a range of 0 to .2 for the roughness.

I can't share the material, but let me know how this works for you!

LayC42

Hello Richard.

Thank you for sharing this.

Finema

Finema

Hi,
Can you show us how to use the overlay textures ?
Thanks again.

richardfunnell

Hi Finema,

KeyShot doesn't have overlays, but you can apply these textures as a label then change the material for it.

Another option is to use them as a roughness texture, the attached image shows that result. Instead of defining roughness for a material globally, you can define roughness with a texture: Black is roughness = 0, White is roughness = 1.

You can also use the "Color to Number" Utility node to define the output range, for example setting the "Output From" to .01 and "Output To" of .2. Much easier to think of roughness in numerical terms instead of color :)

Finema

Will Gibbons

Great find and good tips about the color to number to drive the roughness values!

bdesign

I find the Color To Number node to be one of the most versatile of all the nodes. So many different ways one can use it to drive various parameters. I use it in one or more ways with the majority of material networks I create. Great node.

Eric