Mesh Modeling - Various renders practice (+Erlenmeyer Flask)

Started by NM-92, May 16, 2016, 02:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NM-92

Hey there. I decided to explore the UV editing tool inside Rhinoceros. I heard it wasn't good, but it's better than nothing. Here's my first experiment and approach using this tool and i'm not dissapointed at all. This hat belongs to the latest Hitman videogame. I quickly eyeballed the model so it isn't perfect. Let me know what you think !

Magnus Skogsfjord

Aiiiieh, I'm slightly envious.. I'm still hoping for the day I'll be able to start working with UV's in my software package.

Looks nice Nico :)

mattjgerard

5 years ago I opened up BodyPaint from Maxon, comes with Cinema 4D studio, looked, eyes crossed and I closed it.

Haven't been back since. Might have to take another look though., so much potential with good UV mapping.

NM-92

Quote from: Magnus Skogsfjord on December 05, 2017, 09:37:12 AM
Aiiiieh, I'm slightly envious.. I'm still hoping for the day I'll be able to start working with UV's in my software package.

Looks nice Nico :)

Thanks Magnus. It is indeed a super nice tool, but not easy to tackle. I'm still trying to fully understand this art.

Quote from: mattjgerard on December 05, 2017, 09:58:07 AM
5 years ago I opened up BodyPaint from Maxon, comes with Cinema 4D studio, looked, eyes crossed and I closed it.

Haven't been back since. Might have to take another look though., so much potential with good UV mapping.

This isn't my first encounter with UV unwrap :P What you mentioned happened to me several times, in different softwares, but i refuse to lose the fight !

DMerz III

JonWelch

Well I have yet to learn much about UV wrapping, but it looks like you did a pretty good job! However, I'm curious what the difference would be if you had mapped the texture Spherically. Do you think it would not have looked as good?

NM-92

Quote from: DMerz III on December 05, 2017, 02:32:02 PM
:) great job!

Thanks !

Quote from: JonWelch on December 05, 2017, 02:41:32 PM
Well I have yet to learn much about UV wrapping, but it looks like you did a pretty good job! However, I'm curious what the difference would be if you had mapped the texture Spherically. Do you think it would not have looked as good?

Thank you. Yes, the spherycal mapping type could have worked here. This was just an experiment so i wasn't following any logic, but i think the uv map stretches a bit less than the standard mapping type in KS.

Here's another test with some pipes. This kind of shape always benefits from the unwrapping process and it is a bit more logical to do it here (much more than the hat :P). Now i just need to deal with stretching in some parts of the model (idk how am i gonna solve this...) , but the results were quite good.

RAW render attached, no post this time.

DMerz III

:) since vaguely understanding UV mapping, I feel like it is the way to go most of the time, especially if you have a polygonal model. With CAD and models that came from NURBs you're in a bit of a pickle. But the new triplanar ability is very helpful there in MOST cases.

Wires/Cords was the exact problem back in the day where I decided I needed to understand UV mapping. Great example!

Will Gibbons

NM-92

NM-92

Hi ! I found a cool website to generate free editable patterns and i thought i could share it here. Freebies are only 300x300px available for download, but they are pretty useful. I'm attaching the one i generated, and a quick test in KS. I got carried away and i created a wallpaper i'm currently using :P. Nothing was modeled, so the sphere is really tesselated, sorry about that.

P.S: forgot the link :P : https://patterncooler.com/

Magnus Skogsfjord

I really like the top view spin view. It's a proper action shot, and the tessellation issue you mention isn't really something you take notice of. The colors and lighting kinda reminds me of that poliwhirl/wag/woopdedoo (or something) pokemon thingy too.

NM-92

DMerz III

:) really enjoying the wide variety in your work, Nico!
Very inspiring

Josh3D

Cool shot! Quite a wintery look in that last one too. Love it!

Ad thanks for sharing that resource. Love the background you created with it.