Mesh Modeling - Various renders practice (+Erlenmeyer Flask)

Started by NM-92, May 16, 2016, 02:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bdesign

I really dig the shattered glass/bullet  render. Super cool! +1 with Martin on the motion blur...really kicks it in. Well done :)

Eric

NM-92

NM-92

NM-92

Quick scene i modeled today. Focused on textures and post production. Magnifier glass is downloaded. Cheers !

Magnus Skogsfjord

Awesome texturing dude. A bit blown out to the middle top left there (Esben has really whipped me on blown out areas, so I'm a bit sensitive to those) , which draws a bit attention. Still, awesome texturing and mood nonetheless!

NM-92

Hey Magnus, thanks ! I was kinda after that dreamy bloom-ish mood. I've never did something like that before so i gave it a try. I see your point though.

Josh3D

I love that map shot. Would love to see some more with that one! Well done!

Finema

Despot

Love the overall mood of the map image, but I agree with Magnus about over exposure  8) yikes !! ;)

Also, do you not think the pins are too big compared to the magnifying glass ?

NM-92

Thanks guys !

Despot: Yes, i agree with the scale of the pins issue. Though i have a magnifier glass here that fits entirely in my hand, is a tiny one, so at least i know it exists :p. I'll keep in mind the over exposed areas  for my next images. How can i reduce or decrease those areas without interfeering with the rest of my scene ? Two renders with different lighting and merging in PS ?

TyRuben

NM-92

Despot

QuoteHow can i reduce or decrease those areas without interfeering with the rest of my scene ?

Ok, well, I'll be honest, I don't know a way of stopping it from occurring at all... but you can do a few things to make it less likely to happen .

1. If you are using area lights / emitters, never use full RGB white (255 255 255) - edge it slightly towards grey, something like (246 246 246)
2. Material roughness can accentuate exposure blowouts, so bare that in mind...
3. Ask  Luxion to implement tone mapping (exposure control)

Hope this helps... :)

bdesign

In addition to what John has offered, I would suggest trying rendering out to a 32 bit tiff format. The broader dynamic range will allow you more flexibility in adjusting image exposure while retaining detail. You can use exposure adjustment layers, along with luminosity masks in Photoshop to tweak the exposure of only the brightest areas. If you go into the Channels tab, hold down ctrl+shift, and click on the RGB channel, it will select the bright areas of your image; hold down ctrl+alt+shift and continue clicking on the RGB channel to refine the luminosity selection to brighter and eventually brightest areas. You can use this selection to create a layer mask on your exposure adjustment layer. Also, you can render out separate passes for each physical light in your scene, for a great deal of flexibility and control. Here is a link to a great post by DriesV from a while back:
https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=7039.0.

Cheers,
Eric

NM-92

Thanks guys.

Eric, i'll try that one on my next project. Great post linked, i saved it to read it thoroughly. I revisited my raw image of the map and i see that the problem is strictly me and post production :P. There were no over exposed areas (at least not that much as in the final image). I'm attaching it. Even though i like the final result i lack a sense of balance. I sacrifice part of the image to make the other part look good. It's something to improve in the future and a repeating mistake i make.