How to render dust filter material?

Started by nonamer, June 13, 2016, 07:03:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nonamer

Hi everyone,
i'm wondering how to render a proper dust filter. For a project I have to render different shapes of those filters. They are made from PE foam and are avaiable in different porosities measured in PPI (pores per inch). I attached two pictures of filters with different porosities. Does anybody have a clue how to set up the materials for a realistic rendering in Keyshot?

Thank you in advance!

Artur

Same problem here.

Looking for new ideas.
Currently I am using bump and diffuse mapping, but the texture seems flat and very fake.

TpwUK

These kind of materials are notoriously difficult for any render engine. The only real satisfactory result will only be achieved via displacement.

Martin

Esben Oxholm

The big problems with materials like these is that they are actual three-dimensional structures. If you take a closer look the first image you see a structure with overlapping and interconnecting geometry, which is something that (as far as I know) can't be done with a material. 

With that said, I guess that the dense one of the foams you show can be faked in KeyShot with a normal- or bump-map if you are not going to do any close-ups of the material.

Finema

Hi
Perhaps a starting point with a seamless texture in Metal Material + Bump, Roughness and Opacity.
it's just a test.....

Finema

here an other view

Artur

Good solution.
But the foam material I am making doesnt handle close ups very well.

Any advice on this?

TpwUK

@Finema - Great material that would be more than acceptable for thin dust filters such as those used in PC cases.

@Arthur - If you post me your part that is foam i will add displacement to it and post it you back :)

Martin

nonamer

Quote from: Finema on June 13, 2016, 11:42:52 PM
Hi
Perhaps a starting point with a seamless texture in Metal Material + Bump, Roughness and Opacity.
it's just a test.....

What kind of texture are you using for the mesh? Is it an opacity texture? Can you upload that texture, so we can try using it. Thank you.

Finema

here in attachment >

Artur

Nice one.
But the pattern is predictable.
The foam is a more organic and random structure.

Finema

In this case, you can open the texture in Photoshop and randomize it

Artur

Yes, Photoshop is a solution for the predictable pattern problem. But the seamless integration would then fail...

Finema

you can recreate the seamless in photoshop with Offset menu.

Finema