Wireframe with hidden internals

Started by cadjockey, May 23, 2016, 01:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadjockey

Hi

Is there a way to get a transparent toon material so my models edges are highlighted BUT hide all the internal/backside detail? I want to apply this to an assembly of parts and only want the visible outer edges not all the other internal detail.  I do however want to see other separate models behind the transparent model.
It's to show how a display stand might be used without cluttering the image with unnecessary detail.

Thanks

Rich

guest84672

I'm confused. It sounds like the Toon material will do just what you want it to do?

LayC42

He might want a CAD like HLR view, I think.
Properly there is a good solution in post pro? Maybe a set of renderings a some masks in PS would help?

cadjockey

Yes, I was looking for a HLR type option I suppose. If i make the toon transparent I obviously see all of the 'hidden' lines. I want to see other objects behind my toon object, but not hidden lines on the toon itself!    ie. hidden lines removed only on selected objects, but with objects behind visible.

I wondered if there were some trickery in the new material editor which could give this kind of display.  Probably not I guess
I'll have to do it in post unless anyone has a good idea

INNEO_MWo

Here's a quick solutions. Inside the zip-file you'll find the bip, renderings and the psd)

hope that helps a bit

cadjockey

Thanks, that's just what I was going for!  I'll do it this way for now

Rich

bdesign

Here is a Material Graph network for achieving this effect directly within KeyShot:
Set the Transparency of your Toon material to 1, then connect:

Surface Backside Mask>(Input)Color To Number>(Opacity)Toon.

Use the "Output From" and "Output To" parameters of the Color To Number node to control the visibility of the front and backside faces; set them to 1 and 0, respectively. Note that you will have to enable Experimental Features under Edit>Preferences>Advanced in order for the Surface Backside Mask node to be available under Utilities in the Material Graph. Here is a quick example render, and screenshot of the Material Graph network.

Eric

LayC42

thx bdesign a lot - your solution is more precise! Now I know what backside mask is useful.

I like the support from this forum.

Tons of thanks for you all!

bdesign

You're very welcome, LayC42. Always happy to help if I can.

Eric

INNEO_MWo

Quote from: bdesign on May 26, 2016, 12:56:04 PM
Here is a Material Graph network for achieving this effect directly within KeyShot:
Set the Transparency of your Toon material to 1, then connect:

Surface Backside Mask>(Input)Color To Number>(Opacity)Toon.

Use the "Output From" and "Output To" parameters of the Color To Number node to control the visibility of the front and backside faces; set them to 1 and 0, respectively. Note that you will have to enable Experimental Features under Edit>Preferences>Advanced in order for the Surface Backside Mask node to be available under Utilities in the Material Graph. Here is a quick example render, and screenshot of the Material Graph network.

Eric

Hello Eric.

Many thanks for this solution. I've pushed this material to KeyShot cloud. So everybody can use this. I've named it "wire frame edges HLR (toon, mat. graph)"

Esben Oxholm

well done, bdesign!
I tried myself to crack the nut, but without succes.

Glad you managed to  8)

richardfunnell

bdesign

MWo, Esben, and Richard:

Thanks very much guys! I hope it will be helpful. I really enjoy the challenge of trying to, as Esben said, "crack the nut" of sometimes seemingly unattainable effects, with material graph networks. Thanks again, guys.

Eric

cadjockey

Eric

Thanks so much for this, perfect solution!!!

Rich

bdesign

Rich-

You're very welcome. Glad to know it is helpful  :)

Eric