Blast shockwave effect - using a sphere primative

Started by MikeSJ, May 24, 2016, 11:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeSJ

I'm wondering if it's possible to create a dome shaped blast shockwave/ripple effect from within Keyshot? I've got a model of a large spaceship that has sustained a torpedo hit and I'd like to add some kind of blast shockwave effect to it. I'm completely now to Keyshot, so my first ideas were to create a sphere, add a glass material and then find some way to make it rippled etc. All my amateur attempts have ended in dismal failure! Is this kind of thing possible (and preferably easy) to create within Keyshot, or am I best doing this post rendering in something like Photoshop?

Will Gibbons

Quote from: MikeSJ on May 24, 2016, 11:39:17 AM
I'm wondering if it's possible to create a dome shaped blast shockwave/ripple effect from within Keyshot? I've got a model of a large spaceship that has sustained a torpedo hit and I'd like to add some kind of blast shockwave effect to it. I'm completely now to Keyshot, so my first ideas were to create a sphere, add a glass material and then find some way to make it rippled etc. All my amateur attempts have ended in dismal failure! Is this kind of thing possible (and preferably easy) to create within Keyshot, or am I best doing this post rendering in something like Photoshop?

It's very tough to understand what you're visualizing in your mind that you'd like to re-create on-screen. If you can find some sort of visual to share that you'd like to re-create (even if it's not 100% the same), we can answer this question better.

Based on what you've shared though, I'm thinking you may not be satisfied with the results of using a texture in KS. KeyShot can be used to create some great illusions through textures like cracks, bumps or other textures. But if you want a model to look like it's been hit with a missile and has a chunk taken out of it, that would likely be best achieved using a 3D program to edit the geometry. If you just want some area to look a bit cumpled and rippled around the edges of an impact, you could do that maybe using a radial procedural or wood procedural texture, but it would be best to see what you're after like I said earlier before I could point you in a better direction.

MikeSJ

Thanks for the reply Will. I'll try and find a sample image to show you what I mean.

HaroldL

How do these images compare to what you want?

Will Gibbons

Quote from: HaroldL on June 06, 2016, 07:30:35 PM
How do these images compare to what you want?

I feel like I completely misunderstood the question here. And it seems like you have not. Thumbs up.