Docking Library and Project panes with more flexibility please

Started by idesignstuff, June 20, 2014, 06:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idesignstuff

Just wanted to ask for a little more flexibility with window layout.
When I dock the library and project panes, they are forced to go to opposite sides.
Most of the time, when I am applying materials to components in very large assemblies, I drag the main material onto a top assembly, then go in and drag other materials onto the "outliers" from that main material.
I'm mostly working in the two panes. On a larger screen, like 2560X1440+ resolutions, that can be a lot of mouse movement. I'd like the [Option] to [dock or float] both panes to the same side of the window, and justify the remaining space to maximize the view of the scene, whether docked or not.
I've attached a screenshot of how I'd like to have it, except that the floating pane is blocking some of my viewing window, while there is unused space to the left of the viewing window.

This arrangement would maximize the space and resolution for viewing the scene and minimize mouse movement for assigning materials. Thanks for reading.

Claus Jensen

It is possible to arrange the docked window next to each other and even on top of each other.
Just grab the title bar and drag the window to where you want to dock it.
Library and Project can only dock on left/right side, timeline can only dock in the top/bottom while cloud/toolbar/ribbon can dock on all sides.

idesignstuff

Now we're using KS6 pro, and still can't get the two panes to dock together, while moving the model view window over to fully use the space.

br3ttman

I'm running KeyShot 6.0, and was intrigued about your desire to dock both windows to one side, especially for dragging materials onto components in the tree.  So I gave it a try.  At first I couldn't get both to dock either, but found, after some trial and error, that if you drag to the lower side of the window versus the top corner, you can indeed get them both to stack, not only horizontally, but vertically as well.