Scene Study - Desk Interior

Started by NM-92, May 10, 2016, 10:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NM-92

Free model from CGriver that i downloaded with the mitsubishi lancer evo. This is my attempt.

Artur

The floor looks a bit too large and the depth of field forced.
The light could be softer and the overall shadows need some more accuracy.

Great try. Keep pushing.

TpwUK

Yes, i agree with Arthur and the floor boards, the material is definitely off scale. Is the model open ? To get the best results for interior renders you need an enclosed scene - No missing sides or ceilings etc.

Martin

LayC42

I love those planks! Nice texture!!!

NM-92

Looks like i have some work to do :P

Quote from: Artur on May 11, 2016, 12:17:32 AM
The floor looks a bit too large and the depth of field forced.
The light could be softer and the overall shadows need some more accuracy.

Great try. Keep pushing.

The scale of the floor was actually intentional. I was aiming at big planks, but i'll try to reduce it a bit. Agree with DoF, now that i see, the desk seems like a miniature. I've done this in Ps with a depth pass, total amateur with that.

Quote from: TpwUK on May 11, 2016, 12:43:58 AM
Yes, i agree with Arthur and the floor boards, the material is definitely off scale. Is the model open ? To get the best results for interior renders you need an enclosed scene - No missing sides or ceilings etc.

Martin

Hello Martin. Yes, the model is open, i found it easier to illuminate my scenes with HDRI and pin lights if i worked this way, not a lighting expert.

Quote from: LayC42 on May 11, 2016, 01:06:36 AM
I love those planks! Nice texture!!!

Thanks ! i love it too :D

I'll attach the raw render for you to , since it seems most of the problems comes with my post production (excepting the floor scale).

Artur

Now I can see the image more clearly some texture work (bump and diffuse) could benefit the legs
of the table.
The white material needs a bit of work, Are you using full white (255;255;255)?

NM-92

Quote from: Artur on May 11, 2016, 09:15:31 AM
Now I can see the image more clearly some texture work (bump and diffuse) could benefit the legs
of the table.
The white material needs a bit of work, Are you using full white (255;255;255)?

No, i never use full white, it is (223;223:223), if you are talking about the desk. I find texturing wood strips (legs) very difficult. I never get the mapping right.

Artur

QuoteNo, i never use full white, it is (223;223:223), if you are talking about the desk. I find texturing wood strips (legs) very difficult. I never get the mapping right.

If you break the legs geometry into faces you should have an easy time doing the more accurate surface texturing.
You can use the geometry editor featured in KS6.

guest86567

When you're blocking out your concept always keep proportion in mind and the overall layout. Nicely rendered!

Stevoid

Well done. I like the raw render even better than the 'shopped one. I feel like there is some camera curvature missing on the floorboards/baseboard perspective lines. I also think a little more ambient occlusion-like shadows at the base of the legs, where it contacts the floor, could really help ground the structure.

But nicely done! And i like the art selection! :P

NM-92

Since it's been a while since i've done this, i like the raw image too. I'm not used to interior renders and sincerely, i don't enjoy doing them too much :P, so i struggle with EVERYTHING, from environment selection, to material tweaking. I did this to force myself to practice at least once with this kind of scenes. Anyway, thanks for your feedback :D.

TpwUK

Quote from: NM-92 on June 08, 2016, 12:30:02 PM
Since it's been a while since i've done this, i like the raw image too. I'm not used to interior renders and sincerely, i don't enjoy doing them too much :P, so i struggle with EVERYTHING, from environment selection, to material tweaking. I did this to force myself to practice at least once with this kind of scenes. Anyway, thanks for your feedback :D.

All the more reason to push yourself then NM-92 ... Then you can transfer the knowledge and skills you gain into other renders that you DO enjoy doing :)

Martin

NM-92

Quote from: TpwUK on June 08, 2016, 12:36:13 PM
Quote from: NM-92 on June 08, 2016, 12:30:02 PM

All the more reason to push yourself then NM-92 ... Then you can transfer the knowledge and skills you gain into other renders that you DO enjoy doing :)

Martin

Yes of course. I do learn some things in the process that i can apply to product shots ;D