Needing Help Making These 3 Finishes

Started by TileWareProducts, June 06, 2016, 11:52:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TileWareProducts

New to forum and been using KeyShot a little over 2 years. I do not use daily so my experience level might not be up to bar but I was hoping to get a little help in achieving the following images. Making the models is fairly simple but I am still having trouble with the materials and textures. Also, scaling seems to be rather difficult,  and overall using KeyShot is not easy for me.

Thoughts, advice??

The images below are what I am try to replicate.

Thank you for taking time to read.

TileWareProducts

No one has suggestions on how to create materials based on the images I posted?

TileWareProducts

TpwUK

Which version of KeyShot and modelling app are you using ?

Martin

TileWareProducts

We use KeyShot 5.3 Pro and SpaceClaim Engineer

TileWareProducts

TpwUK

Have a play with Metallic material type and the clear coat finish, you should be able to get close to or even achieve what you want.

Martin

Finema

yes

Whit Chrome material you have directly the first one
For the other, you must add brushed texture
Here a screenshot in 5 minutes...

TileWareProducts

TpwUK

Thanks for the suggestions, seems to make a little more sense. I will give those a try.

Finema

Not bad for a quick rendering. Chrome looks great but need to get more of scratchy look on both brushed nickel and oil rubbed bronze. Also, trying to see more of the copper in oil rubbed bronze. Think I could do this with your suggestions but adding a texture and/or color to achieve this? Please comment.

Thanks,

TileWareProducts

Finema

Yes
With the good textures you could achieve this render.
For the first > take Chrome material and add scratches
the second > take native nikel keyshot material and add also scratches
the third > take bronze material and add.........

TileWareProducts

Finema,

You modeled and rendered in 5 minutes, not sure how you achieved this. I have no good textures to use or even start from. Honestly not even sure where to get or how to really use them.

I played with the metallic paint and clear coat but seems nothing is going to make it look realistic until I have a good texture.

TileWareProducts

Robb63

Tileware,
What environment are you using for your renders? If you are using the "startup" environment that is the first thing you need to change (if you haven't) when trying to create metals.

TileWareProducts

Robb63,

I normally create a custom environment for each model and sometimes use it for the same viewset or create other custom ones for more than one viewset, just depending on what angle and what kind of look I am wanting to achieve.

TileWareProducts

TpwUK

QuoteI normally create a custom environment for each model and sometimes use it for the same viewset or create other custom ones for more than one viewset, just depending on what angle and what kind of look I am wanting to achieve.

Might be worth investing in 6.2 when it's released. The procedural textures provided along with the material graph make these kind of finishes much easier.

Martin

TileWareProducts

That would be great but unfortunately we are tight on funds and wont be able to upgrade any time soon.

I need to be able to make everything work inside the version we have now.

Any other suggestions?

TileWareProducts

TpwUK

Hi TWP, i don't have 5.x here anymore but i am sure gradient, scratches, advanced wood and other noise type procedurals were added but that the swatches remained as bitmapped only. So as an experiment you might consider trying this, but you might not get the same level of control you get with v6 ....

1. Set your base model texture type to Metallic Paint
2. Add any bitmap you want to the Clearcoat roughness swatch or Metal Roughness (if they are available in v5)
3. Double click that swatch so as to enable the editor
4. Where it says material type, change that to Scratches
5. Have fun playing with the settings

For the bronze you might be able to do something with gradient material type and how many  bands are applied along with scale etc, but i think that will have to be applied to the metals base colour swatch.

Hope this way helps.

Martin

TileWareProducts

TpwUK

I took some print screens showing my version of KeyShot and what options I have in hopes to clarify what limitations I might have (in case some settings might only be offered in KeyShot 6+). Also, I have selected what I believe is correct but the rest I am unsure of.

Because of our funds I am very limited to what I can buy and use when creating textures/materials. I do not have any photo editing software and honestly have no experience using them. I do not understand all the 'language' or 'terminology' that you guys might be using or saying, so please forgive me in advance.

Is there a place that I can get free textures and/or materials besides the KeyShot Cloud and if so does anyone have some links that they would like to share?

Rendering is not where my experience or education lies, I have a strong background in 3D modeling and 2D drafting & design.

Thanks for your comments and replies in advance.

TileWareProducts