Ribbed/Corrugated Pipe - Texture Map

Started by phatty70, June 17, 2016, 12:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phatty70

Hello All!

I'm attempting to create a ribbed/corrugated pipe effect on a pipe.  Thefonzzz had a post about these a while back but I've been unable to get a texture to map on this pipe.

What is needed to generate this effect (see file "wanted.jpg" attached (which was shamelessly taken from the post from "thefonzzz" - hope nobody minds the reference))?

guest84672

what modeling software are you using?

phatty70

guest84672

Was afraid that would be the case. In order to properly texture the model needs to be uv mapped which is something we don't do yet inside KeyShot. There are other tools out there that allow you to do this. You would need to export to one of those tools - Rhino for example - uv map the object, and then import into KeyShot.

This is definitely something that we are looking to address in a future version of KeyShot.

phatty70

Dag Nab It!  I'm looking forward to upgrade.  For the time being I'll revert to modeling the convolute (a painstaking process - especially when working with convoluted wireharness!)

guest84672

Variable section sweep? Actually doesn't even have to be variable.

phatty70

Typically I use a spinal bend in Creo.  Model Two convolutions - make an array - then bend with spinal feature to follow the curve.  I post results later.

guest84672

br3ttman

Quote from: thomasteger on June 17, 2016, 03:06:47 PM
This is definitely something that we are looking to address in a future version of KeyShot.

I'd definitely pay a premium for an extension or utility that could create and export UV maps from Creo and/or SolidWorks files, whether inside KeyShot or even as a third party software!  This would be very helpful for creating and wrapping complex textures as well as exporting files for full color 3D printing.

guest84672

The most important thing is to keep it simple. We are looking into it.

NM-92

Quote from: thomasteger on June 20, 2016, 02:01:30 PM
The most important thing is to keep it simple. We are looking into it.

Great to hear that !