Fade in on a later stage

Started by jblaze, June 22, 2016, 07:32:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jblaze

Hello everyone,
I'm creating an animation and I want one of the parts to become visible 5s after the start. I've tried with fading in at that point but the part is visible from the beginning (0-5s) and it disappears completely at 5.00s to start fading in as animated.
Could you please share your expertise on the topic?

Thanks!

Robb63

jblaze,
What I do is create an animation at the very start that has the object faded out completely.
The animation setting is Fade from 0 - Fade to 0 Just make that as long as you need the object to be hidden.

Then add a second fade animation then fades from 0 to 100 to fade the object in wherever you need it to appear on the timeline

Speedster

Just did this exact animate for a client.  Start @ zero.  Fade out (ease in-ease out worked best for me) over your preferred time run, from Zero to 100%.  Then "mirror" it.  Shove the mirror over to where you want it to start, and hide the original fade.  Bingo!
Bill G

jblaze

Thank you for your comments, guys.
Yesterday before posting I've tried the fade from 0 to 0 and it didn't work. After adding it the part became invisible for the entire duration of the animation not only for the fade period. After reading your comments today I've tried it once again on another part of the same animation and it worked.
Just now I've added the fade from 0 to 0 to the first part from yesterday and it's still not working.
So I'm a bit confused. Any ideas?

guest84672

Did you follow Speedster's suggestions? You will need 2 fade animations.

jblaze

Yes, I followed them. It worked with fine with another part, but when I tried it on the part from yesterday I had no luck.
So I've started the animation from zero and everything is working fine now. I guess it was a glitch with that specific part.
Will post back if the issue occurs again.  8)

theAVator

It may have been an issue if you were working with a previous fade and then adding a new one in that is supposed to act before it??

I've had quirky issues where the heirarchy of the model and order in which the animations are created prevent some animations from being seen.
i.e. if you fade a component, then fade back in, then fade one of it's subcomponents it won't fade because something higher in the heirarchy is telling it to be 100%.

I tend to come up with a separate file with a custom heirarchy depending ont he animations taking place and make sure each item that will be animated is it's own grouping. Might take a couple more minutes to program, but takes out any issues I've had in the past.

sethcshort

Yeah -- after some experimentation I found that you need to create the 0% - 0% fade first, then the 0% - 100% fade after. The good news is that you don't have to make the first (0-0) fade any particular length. IE you don't have to make it butt up to the 0-100 fade. It could be just .1 seconds at the start of the timeline.

LayC42

In every project with this need, I create an animation node from 100% to 0% within 0.001 sec and copy it linked to every part that should be visible in further steps. So the invisibility happens within the first frame.
Even if I render single frames for post processing or the video file, I use the render option frame 2 - last frame.

sethcshort

FYI LayC42 -- you don't have to fade from 100 to 0 in your first fade. It can fade from 0 to 0, and that way you don't have to worry about the objects being visible on the first frame.

INNEO_MWo

Quote from: sethcshort on January 19, 2017, 06:32:36 PM
FYI LayC42 -- you don't have to fade from 100 to 0 in your first fade. It can fade from 0 to 0, and that way you don't have to worry about the objects being visible on the first frame.

I've tested both techniques and they work quite well. And I also work with "preparation steps" in the first frame like fade to 0% or move parts out of camera view to move in later.
Sometimes fade a part from 0% to 100% and another part with overlaid polygons from 100% to 0% at the same time causes weird graphical effects. Therefor I fade the second part in a time range from xx.000 to xx.010 and fade out the first part in a time range from xx.010 to xx.020. So the "part switch" happens within on video frame.

And thx for your comment