Rubber expansion

Started by jblaze, June 15, 2016, 05:05:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jblaze

Hi guys,
I want to animate a rubber hose' expansion when pressure is applied. My idea is to increase the diameter with 20-30% and decrease the length with 10-15% at the final stage. I've done this in the past with Solidworks but I prefer Keyshot as it gives me more options for control. Combining SW and Keyshot is not an option because of the different material apperances, lighting and environment the two softwares have.
Please see the attached samples of the initial and the inflated states of the hose.
Thank you!

philw

If it was me I would build multiple versions of the rubber part and fade between them during the keyshot animation to create an illusion of the part expanding...

That's just me though  :)

LayC42

I would duplicate the cylinder of the middle part and animate them with a linear move, like ...

hope that helps

jblaze

Thank you for the ideas, guys.  :)
In the current situation the easiest approach for me was to render ~10 different images at different stage of the hose expansion (switching back to SW for each shot, update dimensions, update the KS scene) and then combine them to GIF/animation with Photoshop.

Speedster

I've had to do this several times with angio balloons. 

I also used multiple SolidWorks models.  But the trick is to create either simple models, each slightly modified in diameter and length, or as separate configurations.

I prefer separate models, with each mated properly in an assembly such that the center planes are all aligned. to allow growth from the center out.

Then in KeyShot, you can hide/show (if for stills) or use fades if an animation.  Actually very effective and realistic! And very fast and easy!

Bill G