Modo to Keyshot ?

Started by Coffee, July 02, 2016, 04:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coffee

Not sure what's new for file formats with Keyshot 6, so question is ... As I don't think Modo uses "Nurbs" as Maya does, if I create a low poly model what format can I use for Keyshot ?

TpwUK

Alembic Cache (*.abc) obj, fbx, stl and possibly iges

Martin

Coffee

Quote from: TpwUK on July 03, 2016, 02:28:11 AM
Alembic Cache (*.abc) obj, fbx, stl and possibly iges

Martin

Do they support mesh smoothing, not material smoothing ?

TpwUK

You need to apply/commit all mesh smoothing and SubD levels before export

Martin

Coffee

Quote from: TpwUK on July 03, 2016, 07:35:27 AM
You need to apply/commit all mesh smoothing and SubD levels before export

Martin

Not sure what you mean ?

TpwUK

I have not used Modo for a while, but if SubD was applied by using the tab key it was not applied to the base mesh but was more a screen effect, that's why you can add 2levels of SubD when you press Tab, and if i remember rightly you tab again to toggle it off again. The same sort of thing applies to any smoothing. So when exporting, you should make sure that all the modifiers to the base mesh are applied or committed either before export, or during the export process.

Martin

Coffee

Thanks. No idea how to do it though.

TpwUK

I think 701 was the last version i played with and after a short discussion with a friend you have to Freeze the mesh but i have no idea what menu that is order. Also i forgot Collada is available as an export option too, sorry.

Martin

Esben Oxholm

I usually apply the subD with the 'tab'-key and go to 'Geometry > Freeze > Ok before exporting as e.g. obj/abc/fbx

Hope it helps!

Coffee

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this only adding a subdivision level, not actually adding smoothing ?

Coming from something like Maya creating simple geometry but nurb smoothing into Keyshot which now has this feature to use nurbs. Whereas coming from Modo has none at all ?

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: Coffee on July 05, 2016, 05:55:32 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this only adding a subdivision level, not actually adding smoothing ?

Coming from something like Maya creating simple geometry but nurb smoothing into Keyshot which now has this feature to use nurbs. Whereas coming from Modo has none at all ?
As to my understanding of smoothing, Modo does smoothing when hitting the tab-key. Not sure if we're referring to the same kind of smoothing. Check out this video. Maybe it explains what you are asking: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GnGWVjLorU

Don't know about the nurbs.

Coffee

Yes we are on the same page.