Main Menu

Foliage Testing

Started by TpwUK, July 04, 2016, 10:12:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TpwUK

Trachycarpus wagnerianus from x-frog
Rendered to 500 samples
Custom Normals and Specular maps taken from original materials provided using CrazyBump
Product Lighting preset

Mapping is probably suitable for interior render mode where there are more objects involved, but as a product viz shot the model needs some more work such as SubD, Displacement mapping and thickness to the leaves to get some SSS going on.

Martin

Despot

Nice plant Martin, those leaves look spiky as feck...

bdesign

Martin-

That looks really nice. However, it appears that your normal and/or specular maps are flipped horizontally and/or vertically. They aren't matching up with the diffuse color and silhouette of the plant. It is especially noticeable when viewed full rez in a separate window.

Eric

Despot

Eric's spot on, the normals need flipping :)

TpwUK

Thanks J :)

Quote from: bdesign on July 04, 2016, 01:06:20 PM
That looks really nice. However, it appears that your normal and/or specular maps are flipped horizontally and/or vertically. They aren't matching up with the diffuse color and silhouette of the plant. It is especially noticeable when viewed full rez in a separate window.

Thanks Eric, I had noticed them and tried lots of things to fix them, but i have come to the conclusion that It's just really snotty towards light direction I have checked all the materials and I can find nothing that resembles the result that it gives on some leaves but not others. Here's a close up of one leaf, and you can see the lower leaf portion on the bottom right of the image is showing those bizarre markings yet both leaves are the exact same texture.

bdesign

Hey Martin-

Just to clarify, I wasn't referring to the normal direction calculated from Crazy Bump, but the Flip Horizontal and Flip Vertical options for the texture map within KeyShot. Are these options matched for all your diffuse maps and their normal/specular derivatives?

Eric

TpwUK

Quote from: bdesign on July 04, 2016, 03:02:54 PM
Just to clarify, I wasn't referring to the normal direction calculated from Crazy Bump, but the Flip Horizontal and Flip Vertical options for the texture map within KeyShot. Are these options matched for all your diffuse maps and their normal/specular derivatives?
Yes of course no problem, there is just the one leaf texture applied so they are all the same direction with no flipping, it's just a weird artefact thing. I could possibly rotate the leaves individually to get an artefact free angle.

Martin

bdesign

Quote from: TpwUK on July 04, 2016, 03:14:53 PM
Quote from: bdesign on July 04, 2016, 03:02:54 PM
Yes of course no problem, there is just the one leaf texture applied so they are all the same direction with no flipping, it's just a weird artefact thing. I could possibly rotate the leaves individually to get an artefact free angle.

Martin

Ok. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something here...I thought you derived individual normal and a specular maps, from the original diffuse map, in Crazy Bump. Then applied the original to the Diffuse Color slot, the derived specular to the Specular slot, and the derived normal to the Bump slot (?). This would be three individual Texture Map nodes, correct? Each of these three nodes would then need to have their respective Flip Horizontal and Flip Vertical options set identically across the board.

Eric

feher

I always knew you had a green thumb.

TpwUK

QuoteOk. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something here...I thought you derived individual normal and a specular maps, from the original diffuse map, in Crazy Bump. Then applied the original to the Diffuse Color slot, the derived specular to the Specular slot, and the derived normal to the Bump slot (?). This would be three individual Texture Map nodes, correct? Each of these three nodes would then need to have their respective Flip Horizontal and Flip Vertical options set identically across the board.
You are right in the creation of the maps, but there is no need to flip any of them this case. They are all the same size, direction etc - I assume the artefacts are coming from the Translucent shader on the leaf markers as they are just planes and have no thickness to them.

Quote from: feher on July 04, 2016, 03:41:12 PM
I always knew you had a green thumb.
Thanks Tim - I better have being a garden designer :P

Martin

bdesign

Quote from: TpwUK on July 04, 2016, 04:37:28 PM
You are right in the creation of the maps, but there is no need to flip any of them this case. They are all the same size, direction etc - I assume the artefacts are coming from the Translucent shader on the leaf markers as they are just planes and have no thickness to them.

Martin

Of course. I just thought maybe one or more of them had accidentally had some of the "Flip" options checked or perhaps scaling changed in their Texture Map options, causing misalignment. Because it definitely looks to me like a "ghosted" mirror image of the plant in the normal map.

Cheers,
Eric

TpwUK

QuoteOf course. I just thought maybe one or more of them had accidentally had some of the "Flip" options checked or perhaps scaling changed in their Texture Map options, causing misalignment. Because it definitely looks to me like a "ghosted" mirror image of the plant in the normal map.

I think it's probably too low in geometry, I have seen this kind of issue with low poly models/parts so I will try and beef up the geometry tomorrow and do a new post ;)

Martin

Magnus Skogsfjord

Going back to your garden designer roots? Pros: This guy doesn't need constant care. Cons: Doesn't smell as good (maybe).

Looking good, Martin!

TpwUK

Quote from: Magnus Skogsfjord on July 05, 2016, 01:42:14 AM
Going back to your garden designer roots? Pros: This guy doesn't need constant care. Cons: Doesn't smell as good (maybe).

Looking good, Martin!

Not going back to my roots, just trying to get back into the mood for doing things. Yeah it's a hardy plant but never smelt one so can't comment :)

Thrown it all together again, since it has issues I don't save it, but it's still the same textures. Seems the specular and normals are too strong on default settings and bump height so messing with those gets it better. No normals needed flipping. Just my heavy handed texture settings in CrazyBump at fault here. Having said that though the model certainly needs more work doing to it to make it a star rather than an extra in an interior ;)

Martin

guest84672

If you check the "sync" option you will ensure that all common options will be the same across all texture channels.