How to limit bump maps to areas using the curvature procedural?

Started by adamwade, August 10, 2016, 12:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adamwade

Hello,

Just wondering if Keyshot materials can use the Curvature map to limit a bump map to edge radii only.  I can't find an example of this (node diagram).  It seams like Curvature colors need to be able to assign a complex material in each of the curvature colors?

Thanks

TpwUK

Have you tried it by using gradient material type on the curvature settings ? I don't know if it will do what you want but it will certainly offer some better form of control over the effect

Martin

NM-92

Hello adamwade. Is this what you are after ? I'm attaching pictures. Used a different colour to see what i was doing.

NM-92

bdesign

If you want to limit the bump area on a single material, you can connect the Curvature (Negative and Zero Curvature set to black, Positive Curvature set to white)>(Input)Color To Number>Bump Height of your bump texture>Bump of your material. The Color To Number node allows precise input of bump height values for the black and white range of the Curvature node. The "Output To" value will control the bump height in the white areas. Example renders and Material Graph sreencaps attached.

Eric

richardfunnell

Eric, that's a really wonderful use of the utility nodes, well done! Looks great :)

bdesign

Quote from: richardfunnell on August 10, 2016, 02:06:46 PM
Eric, that's a really wonderful use of the utility nodes, well done! Looks great :)
Thanks very much, Richard! :)

Cheers,
Eric

adamwade

:)Thanks everyone !  I think this does it.  I will experiment with these great examples.  Very Helpful !

bdesign

adamwade

OK, so I'm trying to get the effect of a tiny chipped edge.  The Radius is only about 0.2mm in this sample.  Normally I would use a displacement map in another program, but I'm trying to see what I can do in Keyshot.  Here is what it looks like so far.