Keyshot can't render realistic shadows on cylinders?

Started by willchocks7, August 16, 2016, 03:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willchocks7

Hi,

I'm having some minor trouble with cylinders in my scenes. It seems that unless a cylinder is lighted from the direction of the camera, it always seems to render with a very sharp terminator line as one side of the cylinder falls into shadow. See the attached image for a better idea of what is happening.

I'm using just the 'basic' lighting setting with:

16 ray bounces.
0 indirect bounces
1 shadow quality
and 'self shadows' enabled

Has anyone else had this problem and how can I fix it?

Thanks

guest84672

This may depend on the tessellation of your model. Use the wireframe material and check.

willchocks7

Thanks for the reply

I put a wireframe material on and it seems to be fine. Very optimised but fine.

The kid's face also has the same problem happening on it with the sharp shadow edges.
I've tried changing the lighting to include more ray bounces and indirect bounces but still getting the same result :/

DriesV

Are you using a Sun & Sky HDRI?
The sharp terminators can occur when using HDRIs with small, bright light sources (e.g. sun).
You shouldn't see this when using Interior Mode.

Dries

bdesign

Ha! You beat me to the punch, Dries  ;)  I was just preparing a sample render with Interior Mode :)  Perhaps I'll upload it anyhow in a minute.

Eric

bdesign

As Dries stated above, Sun&Sky and HDRIs with small, high-exposure light sources can cause this issue. You will most likely want to decrease the color values of your materials, and decrease the exposure, brightness, and saturation of your backplate when using Interior Mode, which I have done in my attached example render.

Eric