Bump's background

Started by Zvi, August 03, 2016, 06:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zvi

Why is there a background to the text bump?

NM-92

Try saving your bump texture in a .png format with transparent background.

Zvi

Quote from: NM-92 on August 03, 2016, 10:49:02 PM
Try saving your bump texture in a .png format with transparent background.
It looks worse.

soren

A jpg is fine for bump, however I would suggest inverting the colors (flip black and white) and add a bit of blur (to soften the edges).

White means height = 1 and black means height = 0 and when you do not repeat the texture the height is zero outside the texture. This means you have an edge along the borders of your bump image when the background is white. Thus if you wish to remove the edge (which I think is causing the problem), the background needs to be white and the text black.

Søren

Zvi

Quote from: Søren on August 03, 2016, 11:20:15 PM
A jpg is fine for bump, however I would suggest inverting the colors (flip black and white) and add a bit of blur (to soften the edges).

White means height = 1 and black means height = 0 and when you do not repeat the texture the height is zero outside the texture. This means you have an edge along the borders of your bump image when the background is white. Thus if you wish to remove the edge (which I think is causing the problem), the background needs to be white and the text black.

Søren
When I sign repeat - it repeats!

Chad Holton

Hi Zvi,

You need to get rid of the border for best results as NM-92 mentioned. Here's a recent thread doing something similar:

https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=13008.0

If you are still having trouble, please share the file or at least the label you are working with.

Chad

NM-92

This is what i meant. It is your same texture saved as .png without the white background. I applied it as a bump texture, unchecked repeat and repositioned and scaled. You can set the bump height to + or - 1 if you want it outwards or inwards. Also, check out this video, it'll help you understanding the possibilities you have to achieve different results. Cheers !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCsmR23YVVo

Zvi

Thanks for everyone!
I found that I should increase the canvas size of the bump's image,  It has to be bigger than the object.
By the way, I found that when I exchange between plus and minus it is very hard to notice if it is  prominent or submerged.

NM-92

Notice that increasing canvas size won't solve the problem, you are only hiding it by making the white area larger than the model itself, that's why the border "dissapeared".