Some practice renders

Started by nicordf, August 05, 2016, 06:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nicordf

I've been wanting to upload some of my renderings for a while  to get  feedback from you guys. (I can't write much because I'm at work atm so had to be quick! haha)

Cheers!

bdesign

Nico, these are great man! That sea shell is really nice. Did you model it? I dig the black/brass close up shot...great imperfection detail on the brass top. Your lighting setups have such nice sharp-to-soft shadow falloff, especially in that chair render. Are you using an HDRI plus area light, or adding pins? And again, with those wood textures you made...they really are great.

Cheers,
Eric

bdesign

I just viewed the sea shell full rez in a separate window. It's really great, but there are some thin line artifacts running through it (mostly horizontal, but a bit of vertical as well near the bottom). Are you using a Translucent material on the shell? The artifacts look to me like a Translucent material render that hasn't quite "baked" long enough.

Cheers,
Eric

nicordf

Hey Eric thanks heaps man!

The sea shell I downloaded it from http://threedscans.com/ to play around with Esben's image lights. They have some really cool super-high-poly models in there.

The hdri is one studio setup HDRI I've prepared with a 80% white backdrop and three white/blue pins to add a bit more realism to the scene. It's light and renders fast! Regarding the wood textures, if you look up Dellis in Keyshot Cloud, I've uploaded them all, so they're up for grabs  :)

nicordf

Quote from: bdesign on August 05, 2016, 07:23:33 PM
I just viewed the sea shell full rez in a separate window. It's really great, but there are some thin line artifacts running through it (mostly horizontal, but a bit of vertical as well near the bottom). Are you using a Translucent material on the shell? The artifacts look to me like a Translucent material render that hasn't quite "baked" long enough.

Cheers,
Eric

Yeah! I noticed them after almost the 2 hour mark of rendering, so lazily I decided to delete them on post (which I obviously forgot)

NM-92

I'll just throw a +1 here. Nothing to add, i love them all. Do you UV map your textures? I always have a hard time doing clean scenes like yours, maybe you noticed all my renders are chaotic and "dirty" :P.

nicordf

Quote from: NM-92 on August 05, 2016, 10:48:13 PM
I'll just throw a +1 here. Nothing to add, i love them all. Do you UV map your textures? I always have a hard time doing clean scenes like yours, maybe you noticed all my renders are chaotic and "dirty" :P.

Thanks Nico! Much appreciated!

I've only UV mapped the chair and those timber slabs (to match the endgrain texture); The rest is basically box and cilinder mappings with label materials in some cases. For me is the other way around! Rich, complex materials are really hard for me to achieve.
I'm currently working on a scratched, smudged and distressed melamine material that's overheating my poor laptop up to 11!

nicordf

Tried adding some scratches and cellular colouring to a melamine cabinet with a stainless steel radial brushed flush pull. It's rotated 90° because why not haha.
(I could fry an egg on my computer at the moment)

nicordf

Here's full size  ;D

bdesign

Looking good, Nico. My suggestion would be to try decreasing the scale and Bump Height of the Brushed texture just a bit, and use Cylindrical mapping for the inside perpendicular surface of the flush pull. If you're not already aware, you can split geometry into separate surfaces in KeyShot with the Geometry Editor (right-click object>Edit Geometry>Split Object Surfaces). Just my 2 cents :)

Cheers,
Eric

TyRuben

These are awesome -- my mind is boggled -- that shell? Wonderful.

Josh3D

Absolutely beautiful Nico! Welcome!

Finema

nicordf

Quote from: bdesign on August 06, 2016, 12:56:10 AM
Looking good, Nico. My suggestion would be to try decreasing the scale and Bump Height of the Brushed texture just a bit, and use Cylindrical mapping for the inside perpendicular surface of the flush pull. If you're not already aware, you can split geometry into separate surfaces in KeyShot with the Geometry Editor (right-click object>Edit Geometry>Split Object Surfaces). Just my 2 cents :)

Cheers,
Eric

Thanks Eric! I'll give it a go today, splitting the geometry breaks the link with Rhino I'm afraid, but the model is simple enough for that not to be an issue  ;D

Quote from: TyRuben on August 06, 2016, 06:33:17 AM
These are awesome -- my mind is boggled -- that shell? Wonderful.

Thanks Ruben! Much appreciated! :)

Quote from: Josh Mings on August 06, 2016, 08:17:17 AM
Absolutely beautiful Nico! Welcome!

Thanks Josh! I've been following the forum for years now (even before Marco Di Luca's mind blowing renderings!) So Im really glad to be part of it now!

Quote from: Finema on August 06, 2016, 08:32:10 AM
I love the wood render :P

Thanks heaps finema! Haha I just realised I uploaded the low res version of that one...

nicordf

Here's a work in progress using Nico's light studio .ksp; the model I downloaded it from grabcad.