Problem with toon shader -- seems to be inverted on render

Started by sethcshort, August 16, 2016, 01:45:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sethcshort

Hi,

I love the idea of the toon shader. I've got something looking exactly how I want it on my screen. But when I render it, it's all messed up. Instead of white with black outlines, it fills in with black -- and the opposite on parts that should be black with white outlines.

I've tried adjusting all sorts of numbers, with no change... EXCEPT: If I turn off Interior Contours, the image goes almost completely white. It's not an improvement, but might help with diagnosis.

Attached are the applicable images.

I'm on a HP Xeon workstation, using the latest version of Keyshot (6.2.105). I've tried restarting Keyshot, restarting my computer, and hiding all the objects in the scene except this one, but no improvement. I've messed with the environment controls too, lighting etc, but nothing changed.

As a final test I dragged the "Toon Outline Black" straight from the library and didn't change anything. Same result.

Help!

Thanks,
Seth

sethcshort

One thing that seems to change things...

I was rendering at 48"x48"x300dpi. So, 14,400x14,400 pixels. If I change this to 800x800 pixels, it seems to render closer to what I'm seeing in the interface.

However, this isn't a solution -- I need a high-res render, so 800x800 isn't going to cut it.

Arg.

sethcshort

I think I figured out the solution. I turned off "Contour Width is in Pixels" and changed the width to .0009 and it seems to be working.

DriesV

Correct, if you want consistent contour widths, across all resolutions, then 'Contour Width is in Pixels' should be turned off.
A side effect of this is that line widths will then be variable depending on perspective. See attached examples. Notice that the Outline Contour is thicker on the front than on the back if 'Contour Width is in Pixels' is OFF.

Dries