Spotlight cone effect

Started by Andre Mora, August 12, 2016, 11:13:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andre Mora

Hello guys, need your assistance!

I have a scene were i trying to achieve this effect here:

But I'm having no sucess. I've tried many different lights, and even tried to do with a mesh with transparency and emission effect, but looks like crappy.  Please help me on that.
Give me a light

LayC42

For this effect we'll volumetric light. This will be available in future releases. I hope

bdesign

Here's my attempt at a spotlight cone volumetric simulation. The basic setup is a cone primitive with an Emissive material, and a sphere primitive with an IES spotlight material placed at the apex of the cone. I used a combination of the Noise (Fractal) node, a Camera Mapped texture created in Photoshop (with the Cloud Filter), the Spots node, and combinations of Color Gradient nodes, mapped to the Opacity, Color, and Intensity of the Emissive material, for the foggy/smoky/particulate effect. The simulated volumetric shadow was done in post with Photoshop, along with some additional overall fogginess to the background, and a bit of color grading. Images attached.

Cheers,
Eric

DriesV

For now, this effect will be difficult to achieve without any post-processing.

@bdesign

Impressive solution, although admittedly a little convoluted. ;D
A dedicated spotlight (with cone angle and focus control) and volumetric (smoke, fog...) material are in the works for a future release.
Should be much more straightforward. ;)

Dries

TpwUK

Quote from: DriesV on August 16, 2016, 12:37:30 AM
For now, this effect will be difficult to achieve without any post-processing.

@bdesign

Impressive solution, although admittedly a little convoluted. ;D
A dedicated spotlight (with cone angle and focus control) and volumetric (smoke, fog...) material are in the works for a future release.
Should be much more straightforward. ;)

Dries

Oh nice !!

Martin

DMerz III

Bdesign, never takes "can't do it" for an answer, haha.

Nice solution! The result looks great, but I cannot wait until this has been a built in feature. Should take things up to an entirely new level, glad to hear it is already on its way.

bdesign

Quote from: dmerziii on August 16, 2016, 09:01:14 AM
Bdesign, never takes "can't do it" for an answer, haha.

Nice solution! The result looks great, but I cannot wait until this has been a built in feature. Should take things up to an entirely new level, glad to hear it is already on its way.
Thanks, dmerziii! Love your comment :)

Cheers,
Eric

DMerz III

Using your Material graph, I tried to replicate this. Couldn't even come close to following what you did. It feels like I'm playing against a chess master who can think ahead 7 moves and I'm still thinking 1 move ahead.

I might have to restart and go for it in my own way instead of trying to reverse engineer this bad boy.

Thanks for the challenge!

DMerz III

So, here's my best attempt. This is all Keyshot, no photoshop. Instead of using a 'clouds' texture from Photoshop, I used the granite procedural, which when scaled up quite a bit, looks a lot like the 'clouds' filter from photoshop. Doesn't quite have the glow essence that Eric achieved.

Using the method put forth by Eric before, primative cone shape, IES light at the apex, etc.

guest84672

Pretty damn good. The edges are a bit sharp, but definitely a great start.

bdesign

Quote from: dmerziii on August 23, 2016, 01:34:54 PM
Using your Material graph, I tried to replicate this. Couldn't even come close to following what you did. It feels like I'm playing against a chess master who can think ahead 7 moves and I'm still thinking 1 move ahead.

I might have to restart and go for it in my own way instead of trying to reverse engineer this bad boy.

Thanks for the challenge!
Thank you very much, dmerziii! You're way too kind...just call me Bobby "KeyShot" Fisher  ;D Haha!

Your render is looking great! I really like the foggy texture you got with the Granite node. Very nice. As Thomas stated, the edges are a bit sharp. To get the falloff at the edges, use a Color Gradient node with the Gradient Type set to View Direction. This is the first of the Color Gradient nodes (affecting Intensity) in my setup. The other two are Planar. The "glow essence" is achieved with the Color To Number node plugged into the Intensity of the Emissive material. I'm attaching some more detailed screenshots showing individual settings of several of the graph nodes. The information is cutoff in the screenshots, but the Shift value for Color Gradient nodes 2 and 3 (Planar) are -.152 and -.16. Thanks again for the very kind words!

Cheers,
Eric

LayC42

Very impressing solution, @both of you.
Eric (bdesign) just having fun with KS and PS.
It's amazing to see that great solutions for things that aren't addressed yet.
Perhaps I give it a try, when there is some time to play.

cheers,
Marco

bdesign

Thanks very much, Marco! Have fun with it and let us see what you come up with :)

Cheers,
Eric

DMerz III

Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

Eric, the material graph breakdown is definitely helpful, I can see now what  you mean now with the gradient edges. I actually had an early on attempt that achieved this but as I dug deeper, I somehow removed it. Going to need some more practice with the nodes to get on your level!

EDIT:

Okay, softness on the edges achieved. Thanks again guys for pushing me to fix that, I'm way more pleased with this result.

bdesign

That looks awesome, dmerziii! Way to push it...very well done!  8)

Cheers,
Eric