Merge/combine previously split geometries

Started by aaborkar, August 12, 2016, 02:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaborkar

I have started using the geometry editor and its nothing less than awesome. But 3 questions on usage:

1. I use geometry editor to split all the surfaces of the object. Now there are over 100k surfaces. Is there a quick way to select multiple individual surfaces by dragging/drawing an area in the viewport and not selecting the surfaces from the list. Also, holding Ctrl and clicking each individual surface is very slow.

2. After I split my surface into 3 parts and click done in the dialogue box, I see a new group with the 3 split parts in the scene. Now, I decide that I would like to merge/combine the 2 of the 3 split parts into a single part. How do I go about doing this? Right now my only option seems to be to undo my changes and then split the object into 2 parts correctly. Am I missing a step here. Is there a way to merge/combine after the fact and not via undo/rollback?

3. Are there tutorial videos covering the remaining of the geometry editor functionality? All the videos appear to be focused on split by surface the approaches are more less trail and error, I feel this is not very concrete.

bdesign

You can marquee select multiple objects by holding down Shift and dragging a window around your desired selection. I don't believe there is a way to merge split pieces once you have accepted changes and exited the Geometry Editor. If so, I'd like to know also.

Eric

aaborkar

Quote from: bdesign on August 12, 2016, 03:23:30 PM
You can marquee select multiple objects by holding down Shift and dragging a window around your desired selection. I don't believe there is a way to merge split pieces once you have accepted changes and exited the Geometry Editor. If so, I'd like to know also.

Eric

Didn't know this trick. Works great. Thanks!

Guidance on #2 and 3 would be helpful  ;D.

Will Gibbons

Well, you can merge faces back together while you're still in your original 'edit geometry' window. See the image I've attached. You can 'merge selection' before closing the dialogue box. After that, your option is to link the materials in order to change them simultaneously.

aaborkar

Thanks Will. I've done the way of linking materials. Was hoping there was a technique that I was unaware of.

Seems kind of silly to me that we can split the geometries in the editor but no way to merge or combine them after the fact.

bdesign

Here's a workaround for merging previously split geometry. In this example, a sphere has been split into 3 parts, then the top halves merged back into one piece.

1. Hide all geometry except for the pieces to be merged.
2. File>Export>Export to OBJ.
3. File>Import the OBJ with settings shown in the screencap below.

Eric

aaborkar

Surprisingly I have been doing the same thing for the past few weeks. Export, import, group by parts (instead of material). Thanks for your input nonetheless.  :).

I hope keyshot team will incorporate simple geometry merging in future releases.