Main Menu

Barbed wire

Started by Hossein Alfideh, August 16, 2016, 02:22:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hossein Alfideh

hey guys, just testing some materials I made and making something symbolic about freedom :P
hope you like the concept and renders ;)

Will Gibbons

This is cool and different.

Some suggestions are to push the contrast in value a bit, maybe increase the size of the flower and see if there's any way to soften the edges of the flower. Maybe round edges in KS, or slight post. Looks nice though. I dig the rust material.

Josh3D

Love it, but barb wire just ain't barb wire without some horse or cow hair on it :)

Hossein Alfideh

Quote from: Will Gibbons on August 16, 2016, 06:20:42 AM
This is cool and different.

Some suggestions are to push the contrast in value a bit, maybe increase the size of the flower and see if there's any way to soften the edges of the flower. Maybe round edges in KS, or slight post. Looks nice though. I dig the rust material.
Thank you will , nice to hear you liked it. Yeah I used rounded edges but the results arent very different from this , I'm thinking to change the model or do some post
About your other suggestions , you're right definitly gonna apply them, thanks :)

Quote from: Josh Mings on August 16, 2016, 09:17:59 AM
Love it, but barb wire just ain't barb wire without some horse or cow hair on it :)

Thank you josh! damn right , didnt thought of that :D
I try to do that with geometry  ,wishing that goes well :P :D

Hossein Alfideh

By the way I would really appreciate if anyone could give me some tips for flower rendering , that was a bit hard to achive a satisfing look

Josh3D

Are you using a translucent material? It looks slightly plastic. I would recommend the translucent materials.

HaroldL

Whoa, these images almost make me feel like I'm back home on the farm

That would help, although I've left some of my own blood and skin on a few barbs. Oh wait, isn't that blood on the barb next to the flower? :o

nicordf

Hahahahaha absolutely true! Nice render Hossein!

Hossein Alfideh

thank you guys for the kind words  :)
here is my final result

Will Gibbons

I know you said the one above is your final result, but I think the barbed wire gets lost with the grass background. Any way you can find a backplate that has more sky so the barbed wire can be a bit more silhouetted against the lighter value of the sky? I think it would make a much stronger final image. Also, a great way to check your values is to turn your image into a B&W one and see if you can still read it. You'll see the barbed wire really gets lost in this image if you do that.

Hossein Alfideh

Quote from: Will Gibbons on August 20, 2016, 04:49:09 PM
I know you said the one above is your final result, but I think the barbed wire gets lost with the grass background. Any way you can find a backplate that has more sky so the barbed wire can be a bit more silhouetted against the lighter value of the sky? I think it would make a much stronger final image. Also, a great way to check your values is to turn your image into a B&W one and see if you can still read it. You'll see the barbed wire really gets lost in this image if you do that.
you're totally right will,here are two other ones, but I'm still struggling with that flower :-\

Will Gibbons

I think the color one works better, especially in the sky area.

The translucency you get on the flower in the bottom one is nice though. I can't offer much advice on the flower as I've never tried to render one in KS. Whenever I'm struggling with something, I go look at reference photos.

PhilippeV8

I kinda like the colored one also.  The backplate puts the wire and the scene in a good context.
However.
1) crop the top part .. or rather photoshop the cloud at the top left cuz it's blown out.
2) why green tint on the flower .. I have rarely seen green on flowers.  Either go for almost white, or make it purple or red or ... whatever.

I agree on what Will said on the translucency being better on the flower in your last image ... that's because of the backlight and a shadow hitting a petal partly ... but look what the other lighting is doing for your barbwire ... you loose all highlights and shadows and thus all nice depth, which you DO have in the colored image.

3) is that a blurred backplate image ?  Cuz if so, I feel like you need a tad less DOF.  I feel like the amount of bokeh on the furthest barbwire, does not match with the dept there should be between the furthest barbwire and the background houses.  This is just a feeling I get ... based on what results I get with real life landscape photography ...

From what I can see on a google image search for "little flower" ... most flowers tend to have the most / deepest / darkest color near the center of the flower ... maybe switching that might make it look more real ... ?

Hossein Alfideh

Thank you Will and Philippe for the great help,I tried to apply every single of them.Let me know what you think  ;)

Will Gibbons

Much better!  ;D Way to stick with it. I know how it feels to re-work something a bunch. Definite improvement.