Main Menu

Old Wooden Box

Started by AndrewHartley, August 28, 2016, 02:08:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndrewHartley

Old Wooden Box - Wood material using texture together with occlusion to accentuate shadow in recesses

LayC42

stunning! That's really amaze me!

Great Work!

What modelling tool do you used?

AndrewHartley

Thank you. It is modelled using ZBrush. I have just started with ZBrush and it has been (and still is) a steep learning curve. I am very impressed with the ability of Zbrush to do organic sculpting work such as the carved top of the box.

Speedster

I'm impressed!  I'm trying to learn Zbrush also, and it's tough.  But amazing!  Good job!

I've noticed many of you are starting to use the occlusion pass to manipulate shadows.  But how is the pass actually used in post?  Care to share?

Bill G

AndrewHartley

Hello Bill,

Actually I didn't use the occlusion pass (I haven't tried that yet), but rather the occlusion 3d material that comes with KS6.

See the attached material graph. First apply a label to the basic wood material. Then delete the diffuse texture from the label. This leaves the diffuse as a solid colour for the plastic material of the label (black in this case). Hence, at this stage the black plastic material covers the whole of the underlying basic wood material. Then apply the "occlusion" material to the opacity section of the plastic label material. In the occlusion material, reverse the colours of occluded and unoccluded - so as to make occluded white and unoccluded black. This allows the black material of the label to be visible in occluded areas but not in unoccluded areas - so that the underlying wood is visible in the unoccluded areas.

(This is explained better than I can in the webinar "Keyshot 6 Master Series - Material Control".

Best
Andrew

(ps I like the steam engine model and look forward to seeing the final rusty version)

TpwUK

That's a smashing little render Andrew, my compliments sir :)

Martin

Speedster

Thanks, Andrew!  I'm starting to get it.  I think!  I'll study the Material Control more...
Bill G

Josh3D

Looks SO good! Great work!

AndrewHartley

Thanks for the encouragement.

Just realised that the ends of the front and rear panels should have end-grain wood rather than side-grain wood. So I have applied an end-grain oak texture to the ends. Hopefully I have matched it up passably in colour and size to the side-grain. Here is the final render.

dcjdesign

wow! such a great rendering.  the texture work is epic!

Arian Shamil