"Fish Bowl" Glass Material/Method

Started by phatty70, August 29, 2016, 04:50:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phatty70

Hello All,

Working with a project where I need to show just the outside "skin" of a product while I perform a sequence of renderings of internal components.  I'm looking for a way to only show the outside "skin" that is visible at a given angle.  In the past I've decided on the view that will be used then manually skinned to remove all surfaces not wanted.

Is there a better way?

bdesign

Are you looking for an effect like this? Color Gradient (Gradient Type: View Direction)>(Opacity) Material. Adjust the black and white degree positions to the desired transparent/opaque balance.

Cheers,
Eric

phatty70

Thanks for taking the time to reply bdesign.

I've been using keyshot for some time - but very new to the node editor.  I managed to get things setup per your screenshots (thank you) but I'm unable to replicated the desired effect.  In my reference attached what I'm trying to do is remove the faces not shown in the viewplane.  In this example the bottom, rear, and right most face would not be shown at all. 

When using a glass material these faces are visible - which starts to darken the image.  When working with an object that has 1000's of faces behind the viewplane it's quite problematic (I hope I'm explaning myself clearly). 

Really appreciate any and all effort/replies!

phatty70

Got it - this technique does work for the simple I gave!  My problem is that I'm working with objects with 1000's (if not more) faces on the rear side - I'm looking for an easier way to not display faces that are not visible to the camera (think of a toon material then remove the fill (but that will not work as it then shows the faces I'm trying to hide).  Here's a better example.  I'm trying to showcase the engine in this case by putting the grader in glass.  I need to now show only the surfaces visible to the camera (anything that would be hidden I don't want to see).

phatty70

Here's a photoshop showing "kind-of" what I'm trying to create.  I would need to apply a glass material to the line version of the grader.

bdesign

Well, phatty70, it just so happens that I posted a workflow a while back which allows HLR (Hidden Line Render) with the Toon material ;) check it out here: https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=12603.0 (reply #6). Additionally, you can set the Transparency of the Toon material less than 1 to get semi-transparent surfaces :)  Let me know if this does the trick.

Cheers,
Eric

phatty70

Quote from: bdesign on August 30, 2016, 11:56:29 AM
Well, phatty70, it just so happens that I posted a workflow a while back which allows HLR (Hidden Line Render) with the Toon material ;) check it out here: https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=12603.0 (reply #6). Additionally, you can set the Transparency of the Toon material less than 1 to get semi-transparent surfaces :)  Let me know if this does the trick.

Cheers,
Eric

This is EXACTLY the effect I'm trying to create.  When I try to apply this to the grader example above using the node layout I am unable to get the same effect (I am however able to get it using the primitives referenced in the other thread).

Could I trouble you to look at the BIP I attached above and see if you're able get it to work? 

bdesign

Ok. New strategy :) The desired effect was not achievable with the original node network, as there are multiple overlapping 3-dimensional objects. So, I devised a new double-sided material, with a transparent Toon material on the front faces and an Emissive material on the back faces, Intensity=1, Visible in Reflections=OFF. Image 1 has Emissive color=white, background color=white. Image 2 has Emissive color=yellow, background color=green. I created a Scene Set for each. I think this is the effect you're going for. Let me know.

Cheers,
Eric

phatty70

This is exactly the effect that I was looking for.  Thank you so much - you went above and beyond here.  Thank you so much Eric - thank you thank you thank you!

Will Gibbons

Quote from: bdesign on August 30, 2016, 07:40:18 PM
Ok. New strategy :) The desired effect was not achievable with the original node network, as there are multiple overlapping 3-dimensional objects. So, I devised a new double-sided material, with a transparent Toon material on the front faces and an Emissive material on the back faces, Intensity=1, Visible in Reflections=OFF. Image 1 has Emissive color=white, background color=white. Image 2 has Emissive color=yellow, background color=green. I created a Scene Set for each. I think this is the effect you're going for. Let me know.

Cheers,
Eric

Awesome. You keeping a library of all these interesting materials? ;)

DMerz III

I think BDesign is actually a super computer that just solves everybody's keyshot challenges.

phatty70

Quote from: dmerziii on August 31, 2016, 11:29:55 AM
I think BDesign is actually a super computer that just solves everybody's keyshot challenges.

I agree - we need to get him a paypal donate button at the bottom the threads he solves!

Will Gibbons

Quote from: phatty70 on August 31, 2016, 11:39:48 AM

I agree - we need to get him a paypal donate button at the bottom the threads he solves!

Or I'll suggest he changes his forum username to Hal 9000  ;D

bdesign

Quote from: phatty70 on August 31, 2016, 03:49:31 AM
This is exactly the effect that I was looking for.  Thank you so much - you went above and beyond here.  Thank you so much Eric - thank you thank you thank you!
You're very welcome, phatty! Glad it worked for ya :)
Good one, dmerziii :) Thanks!
Quote from: phatty70 on August 31, 2016, 11:39:48 AM
Quite nice of you to say that, phatty :)
Quote from: Will Gibbons on August 31, 2016, 12:00:04 PM
Or I'll suggest he changes his forum username to Hal 9000  ;D
Haha! That's awesome, Will  8)

Will Gibbons

Haha! That's awesome, Will  8)
[/quote]

This is the first time I've seen an audio file attached to a comment here. lol.