"Failed reading input file" when rendering through queue

Started by sethcshort, August 29, 2016, 06:24:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sethcshort

Hi, I've been encountering this error for several months. Frequently (but not always, maybe 1/3 of the time) when rendering with the queue, an error pops up repeatedly. "Failed reading input file. XXXXXXX (filename) Please contact support@luxion.com". The render queue seems to freeze, but when I hit OK, the progress bar jumps forward, then another error window appears. I hit OK, and it repeats several times, then finishes rendering.

What could be causing this?

I'm on Windows 7 Pro, 16GB RAM and 8 cores, using Keyshot 6.2.105. I'm rendering TIFFs at 3840X2905, 300dpi. Approximately 27 million triangles in the scene, but each render shows between 5 and 15 million. I'm rendering to a local drive.

Thanks,
Seth

guest84672

I have to admit I've never seen this error message. Are you running out of disk space by any chance?

I have also forwarded this post to the team so we can take a look.

sethcshort

I've got 425 GB free on my hard drive.

I haven't mentioned the error before because 1) it usually happens in the middle of a rush so I don't have time to document it, and 2) the render files (TIF) themselves seem to turn out fine so it doesn't affect the results. Except if I want to let a render queue run overnight, I come back in the morning and instead of renders I have that error window. :-/

If it's any help in diagnosing -- my coworker who has pretty much the same setup, same machine, same version, on the same network, says he doesn't get this error. The one difference between us that I can think of is that I have a regular user login and he has an admin login. But I do have full read/write access to the folder indicated in the error (C:\Users\Public\Documents\KeyShot 6\Scenes). And I can see the .ext files being created and deleted as the queue populates and renders.

In this example, the ".tif.ext" files that are being saved are about 735MB each. In case that matters.

One other thing: I've had the error pretty regularly over the last few months, through at least 2 versions of Keyshot -- this one and the previous one -- so it's not just the latest release that's been doing this.

Thanks,
Seth

guest84672

Thanks for the additional details. Can you send me an EXT file that failed so we can take a look? Use keyshot.wetransfer.com and send it directly to thomas@luxion.com.

Thanks!

sethcshort

Unfortunately I'm unable to send you any of those files, since they're automatically deleted after render, and I don't see them in my recycle bin.

guest84672

The next time this happens, make sure to grab the .ext file that files to load prior to hitting the OK button.

Thanks.

sethcshort

I'll try to do that. As far as I can tell, it seems like the error stems from the fact that the .ext file has disappeared, so I'm not sure I'll be able to go in and grab the file before it gets deleted, but I'll try. Don't wait on me for that, though, because I don't think I'll be able to do it.

guest84672

sethcshort

Maybe... but the queue depends on those files being there in order to render, right? And it DOES render -- the renders are turning out fine. The error seems to pop up after the render is complete.

sethcshort

I'm on a new machine with a fresh install of Keyshot, and I'm still getting the error.

The render completes before the error pops up. I'm noticing that when the render completes, the file that's in the Scenes folder is deleted. I'm seeing the files disappear from that folder as the queue progresses.

I've copied all the ext files into another folder in hopes that one of them will throw the error. One did, and I have that file. However, it's 1.7GB in size and contains proprietary information that I'm not comfortable sharing in this forum. What should I do with this?

sethcshort

A number of renders in the queue I'm running now have popped this error.

I'm noticing a lot of repeated errors, as if it's looking for the same missing file over and over. It will give me a whole bunch of errors of missing files, all in a row, then render for a while, then give me a whole bunch more errors, most of which are repeated from the previous bunch of errors, with a couple of additions at the end.