Texture mapping via "slope"

Started by guest86847, August 16, 2016, 01:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest86847

Hello,

Is it possible in Keyshot v6 to control the mapping of textures via slope? In the note editor there is a curvature filter but that filter doesn't give me the control I'd like to have. Let's say you have a terrain model that you like to apply a snow texture to it, but you want that texture to be rendered only at the top and surfaces which for example have a slope of 60 °. Every angle more than 60 ° and all vertical surfaces are not affected be the texture. So, is that possible in KS?

bdesign

This isn't exactly what you're wanting, since KeyShot doesn't have a "slope" node, but you might be able to get some effects with it that you like. The basic node flow is:

Occlusion>(Input)Color To Number>(Map)Color Gradient>(Opacity)"snow" material>(Label 1)"terrain" material

The object in my example has four tiers, with slopes at 30°, 45°, 60° and 75°, with vertical sections between and a flat plateau. It is 36" at the widest point (base). The Radius of the Occlusion node is set to a very large value, 100x base width (3600). The Scale of the Color Gradient is set to .25x base width (9). The "snow" buildup is controlled mainly with the "Output From" (for slopes) and "Output To" (for verticals) parameters of the Color To Number node. The attached GIF shows the "Output To" at -100, and the "Output From" progressing from 0,4.5,9,18,36,72,144. I'm attaching a .ksp for you to check out if you' like.

Cheers,
Eric

guest86847

Once bdesign is trying to help with a very elaborate post. :D Unfortunately, this "workaround" doesn't work for me since I had to deal with lots of normal maps which can hardly be controlled by this method. Nevertheless, thanks again for your help! I hope the devs will soon include a slope node in Keyshot.