Diffuse texture for ground material

Started by guest86847, September 05, 2016, 03:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest86847

Hello

the ground material doesn't support diffuse textures. It's the only material that allows for ground clipping, so I can't exchange with other mats in KS.

bdesign

Quote from: Armill on September 05, 2016, 03:52:10 PM
Hello

the ground material doesn't support diffuse textures. It's the only material that allows for ground clipping, so I can't exchange with other mats in KS.
If you want a color mapped ground plane, why not just use any regular type material to which a diffuse texture or color can be applied? Geometry below the ground plane will be clipped. Perhaps I'm not understanding the issue correctly (?).

Eric

guest86847

The issue here that only the ground plane material enables the ground to stretch to infinity and the horizon line. Here you can clearly see the borders of your large plane polygon.

bdesign

Quote from: Armill on September 06, 2016, 02:53:37 AM
The issue here that only the ground plane material enables the ground to stretch to infinity and the horizon line. Here you can clearly see the borders of your large plane polygon.
The Ground material must be applied to geometry (in this case, a ground plane), so it is inherently finite to the extent of the geometry. It gives the illusion of "stretching to infinity" and the horizon line because it is not illuminated by, nor does it reflect, light from the HDRI Environment; it  only reflects, and receives shadows from, illuminated geometry and physical lights. This can clearly be seen in the first image below, where the ground plane has been scaled down very small. If you want a regular, textured mapped material to fade out parallel to the horizon, you can apply a Color Gradient (Gradient Type: View Direction) to the Opacity, as illustrated in the second image.

Eric

fario

bdesign

guest86847

That's actually pretty smart, bdesign. Thanks for elaborating.
Unfortunately, my problem is that only the ground mat supports ground clipping, but it doesn't allow for diffuse textures. That's why I wished for that feature.  :D

guest84672

I'm not sure what you are looking for. Anything below the plain will be clipped. Can you please explain what you are looking for?