Keeping UV map after editing geometry?

Started by maf1909, September 08, 2016, 12:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maf1909

I've got a model that I downloaded that is almost perfect for my uses (I can't publicly share it), but I need to fill in a hole in the geometry so it gets covered up with a texture.  However, when I do that, the texture doesn't map over that area when UV map is selected.  I assume it's because the UV map is broken in that area once the geometry is edited and a hole filled, but I'm curious if there's a way to fix that?  Especially considering this area of the model is nice and flat.

I'd like to use UV mapping to make the texture wrap around the edges of the model correctly, as the other types of mapping just don't quite cut it.

bdesign

Can you close the mesh in your modeling software, re-apply UVs, and import back into KeyShot? Or, close the mesh in KeyShot, export as an .obj, re-apply UVs, and import back in? Also, are you using a bitmap texture or a procedural?

Eric

maf1909

Quote from: bdesign on September 08, 2016, 02:11:24 PM
Can you close the mesh in your modeling software, re-apply UVs, and import back into KeyShot? Or, close the mesh in KeyShot, export as an .obj, re-apply UVs, and import back in? Also, are you using a bitmap texture or a procedural?

Eric

I was hoping keyshot was able to do it, since I'm not experienced with UV mapping.  A skill I'll have to try to learn in the coming weeks I suppose.  That particular one was a bitmap texture I believe.

bdesign

maf1909

Quote from: bdesign on September 08, 2016, 02:27:11 PM
What modeling software are you using?

I bought the model online, so it came in as an obj.  I have access to SolidWorks (no UV mapping obviously), and can probably get Rhino if need be, currently have a trial of that, just haven't had time to try to learn it.

bdesign

I got this to work very easily with Rhino. I created the initial geometry with the open hole as NURBS, applied UV mapping, exported as an .obj, imported into KeyShot, and applied the grid texture with the UV Mapping type. I left the KeyShot file open. I then imported the original .obj back into Rhino, ran the FillMeshHoles command, exported as an .obj, and imported back into KeyShot. The original material and texture were automatically applied to the new geometry- no reapplying of UVs necessary. If you have the KeyShot to Rhino plugin installed, you can just hit "Update" to send it back to KeyShot, but you will need to rotate it -90 in X and snap to ground. Before and after renders below.

Cheers,
Eric

maf1909

very nice, thanks for the tip.  That looks like it should work perfect for now, until I learn more about mapping anyway!