Applying a label on multiple parts

Started by Thom_Sluban, September 12, 2016, 05:36:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thom_Sluban

Hi there,

I have a question about applying labels an i hope to find an answer here.

In the picture you see that my model consists of multiple parts. Bricks so to say. The little black squares you see are (obviously) windows. The windows are all placed separately.  Now, I can make a label with multiple windows on it and place it on one part and than it works perfectly. But what if I want to place a label that crosses a seam. Is that possible?  That would save me a lot of time.

I hope I made myself clear. And thank you in advance.

INNEO_MWo

There is a simple trick to apply one label to multiple parts (with different materials). BUT! - The mesh of the different parts (as I know) has to be split out of one single mesh (like merged objects).

The attached screenshots will show a quick example:

1. I split some polys from the plane into 2 parts and applied different and unlinked materials

2. I placed a label near the edge of the mesh

3. I copied the blue material (with the label) [shift + LMB] and paste it unlinked [shift+ctrl+RMB] to the top part. And after that I applied a different material from the library (holding ctrl to keep the label) to top part.

Just try it on the attached .ksp file

I don't know any other way to solve it.

Maybe if a wall with different bricks is planar, you can place a plane in front of the wall with the ground material and a label on it. (see attached bip file). It can be 'lil bit tricky to find the right scale and position for this "fake plane" - 'cuz weird shadows can appear.

hope that helps

INNEO_MWo

... and faking the bump map for the gaps can be tricky.

DMerz III

Thom_Sluban

This is a great explanation! But there is one thing. The label has to be applied over two seperate objects. So i can't split them. Is there a way to merge them? So for example merge two bricks into one. (Maybe different software will do the trick. I have Inventor, 3ds Max and Blender.)

I think using added geometry is also a great solution because it gives it a real "sticker" like look.

Thank you very much! Your help is much appreciated!

bdesign

Quote from: Thom_Sluban on September 12, 2016, 11:49:01 PM
This is a great explanation! But there is one thing. The label has to be applied over two seperate objects. So i can't split them. Is there a way to merge them? So for example merge two bricks into one. (Maybe different software will do the trick. I have Inventor, 3ds Max and Blender.)
*EDIT* Updated workflow in reply #12 below

Here's an example with labels applied across multiple objects/materials. These are the steps taken:

1. Create the wall with 6 individual blocks, materials linked.
2. Select the root wall node, File>Export>Export to OBJ.
3. File>Import>Import the newly created OBJ back into KeyShot with options: "Add to Scene", "Keep Original", "Retain Materials" checked; "Keep Individual Parts" unchecked.
4. Add labels and textures to the imported OBJ, which acts as a single object.
5. Select the OBJ, right-click>Edit Geometry>Split Separate Surfaces>Split All>Done. Drag and drop new colors/materials onto the individual blocks while holding ctrl and alt to retain labels/textures. The labels will retain their relative positions and line up perfectly like "puzzle pieces".

Eric

Finema

INNEO_MWo

Quote from: bdesign on September 14, 2016, 05:22:22 AM

1. Create the wall with 6 individual blocks, materials linked.
2. Select the root wall node, File>Export>Export to OBJ.
3. File>Import>Import the newly created OBJ back into KeyShot with options: "Add to Scene", "Keep Original", "Retain Materials" checked; "Keep Individual Parts" unchecked.
4. Add labels and textures to the imported OBJ, which acts as a single object.
5. Select the OBJ, right-click>Edit Geometry>Split Separate Surfaces>Split All>Done. Drag and drop new colors/materials onto the individual blocks while holding ctrl and alt to retain labels/textures. The labels will retain their relative positions and line up perfectly like "puzzle pieces".

Eric

Hello Eric.

That sounds nice. I've never used the export feature this way. Question to your great example. Does the blocks has a little gap to each other so that the multiple obj after import can be split easily?.

I'll have to give it a try.

bdesign

Quote from: MWo on September 14, 2016, 06:06:06 AM
Hello Eric.

That sounds nice. I've never used the export feature this way. Question to your great example. Does the blocks has a little gap to each other so that the multiple obj after import can be split easily?.

Thank you, MWo. Very good question! Yes, there is a .05 gap between blocks for exactly this reason :) You could make it even smaller if you wish.

Eric

INNEO_MWo

Quote from: bdesign on September 14, 2016, 06:15:17 AM
Quote from: MWo on September 14, 2016, 06:06:06 AM
Hello Eric.

Thank you, MWo. Very good question! Yes, there is a .05 gap between blocks for exactly this reason :) You could make it even smaller if you wish.

Eric

That made my day so far.

Will Gibbons

bdesign

Here's an updated, more straightforward workflow with no need for the Geometry Editor:

1. Create wall with 6 individual blocks, materials linked.
2. Select root wall node, File>Export>Export to OBJ. (Make sure any other geometry is currently hidden, as KS will export all visible)
3. File>Import the newly created OBJ, with options "Add to Scene", "Keep Original", and "Retain Individual parts" checked; "Retain Materials" unchecked.
4. Apply labels and textures to the OBJ, which acts as a single object.
5. To apply different colors/materials to the individual blocks, select the root node of the imported OBJ and "Unlink Materials", then drag and drop onto the blocks while holding ctrl and alt to retain labels/textures. The labels will retain their relative positions and line up perfectly like "puzzle pieces".

Eric

LayC42

Thom_Sluban

Realy nice! Thank you very much!

Didn't expect all this help.

;D