Interior Lighting Question

Started by dxburke, September 12, 2016, 05:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dxburke

So I have had some troubles with an interior scene that I'm doing. My scene is an interior kitchen, but no matter how many lights I add, it seems to still be quite dark. Anyone have any suggestions on what I could do to help it? I have used several area lights in my scene.

INNEO_MWo

There are some possible tricks and settings to use. (It could be difficult to give hints, if we don't know your scene settings)
You can:
- enable global illumination
- use the interior render mode
- increase the indirect bounces value
- can create a big plane with an emissive material as a ceiling to push more light into your room
- can create an offset plane behind the windows (outside) with an area light material to push more light into the room
- can use ies lights and multiply the power
- can change Lumen instead Watt values for the area lights

hope that helps

Will Gibbons

MWO offered some good suggestions, but a faster way to help you would be if you shared a link to your scene that we could access (dropbox etc.).

My first questions would be even broader, such as which version of KeyShot are you using? You may not have access to interior mode if not on KS6.
Is your scene water-tight, meaning no open walls/windows/ceilings. If not, interior mode won't help much.
Also, what are the units of your model? Without proper units, your lights may not work properly.
What are your real-time lighting settings?
What are the values for your lights (units and power)?

dxburke

Quote from: MWo on September 13, 2016, 06:51:45 AM
There are some possible tricks and settings to use. (It could be difficult to give hints, if we don't know your scene settings)
You can:
- enable global illumination
- use the interior render mode
- increase the indirect bounces value
- can create a big plane with an emissive material as a ceiling to push more light into your room
- can create an offset plane behind the windows (outside) with an area light material to push more light into the room
- can use ies lights and multiply the power
- can change Lumen instead Watt values for the area lights

hope that helps

Thanks for the suggestions MWO. I definitely will check it out and see how it works. If I still can't figure it out, I will upload a sample and share. Thanks to the both of your for replying. I am working in keyshot 6 and it is a room with windows. A kitchen to be exact, so that's what I'm going with.