Label around Box with filleted edges

Started by philw, September 27, 2016, 06:34:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philw

Hi all - really struggling to find a label technique that works...need to wrap a label around 3 sides of a box with 10mm radius fillets on the edges, but even when tweaking the depth of label, it seems to stop at the radius "start"... (i've attached a screenshot of the Rhino object). I've tried leaving it as Nurbs, OBJ Mesh, all sorts, still the same... :-(

Any ideas? Cheers!

Chad Holton

Hi Phil,

Does Rhino have UV mapping ability? If so, this would be your best route. If not, I did play around with different mapping options and cylindrical may work depending on your decal. Below is what I ended up with. I played around with the cylinder center and such and got it fairly close.

philw

Thanks Chad!

I was in a desperate rush so I've ended up with repeats of the label lined up against each other with offsets to create the look of the whole label. Not sure Rhino...will take a look when this is out of the door and try a bit harder with cylindrical. My label is full of text and graphics so any stretching would be very noticible.

Thanks!

Robb63

Have you tried applying different UV mapping in the Properties tab in Rhino? Something in there might work for you.

philw

Sorry guys, I'm completely lost with all that...

Note to self....get cleverer...quickly!

:-)

philw

Thanks guys for all your help - cracked it this morning with a nicely placed seam in the model and Rhino UV Edit to apply it to the box. UV MApped in Keyshot and all good.

Only downside is that Mac Rhino doesn't do it and I'm running a trial of the Windows version. So i'll have to learn how to do it in Cinema 4D.

Thanks again,

Phil

Finema

Hi
In C4D, you must use BP UV Edit and export your .OBJ and import it in Keyshot

philw

Thank you, yes, I'm trying to understand that, but new to C4D :-) so a bit of a learning curve...

philw

So... almost cracked it in C4D, but a slight issue...

In Rhino, when I unwrapped, created a seam and UV edited, the radius fillets came out perfectly as equal sized rectangles when flattened out. In C4D, they aren't equal, as per looking at a front projection, i.e. the outermost ones get thinner...not sure how to recreate the one I got from Rhino which produces no distortion when the label is on the radius?

Apologies in advance for my noob C4D terminology and vagueness... Many thanks...

philw

Managed to make it better but not quite sure how...will retrace my steps...

I think I'll be nagging McNeel to include the UV Edit tools in the Mac version of Rhino as it was so simple to do there rather than in C4D/Bodypaint...

philw

Thank you!

My old brain takes longer to learn nowadays...

;)

bdesign

Sure thing, Phil. I use Rhino on Windows, but apparently there is some rather hidden UV mapping functionality, though apparently somewhat limited, via the command line in the mac version...see here:
https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/texture-mapping-in-mac-rhino/4480

Eric

bdesign

Hey Phil-

The method by which your NURBS geometry is created will have an impact on the inherent UV behavior out of Rhino. Try this:
Run the DupEdge command and select the top and bottom edges of your filleted box, then join the resulting curves into two closed curves. Create a perpendicular polyline between the midpoints on one of the long sides. Run the Sweep 2 Rails command, with the two curves as rails, and the polyline as the cross section. Select "Simple sweep" in the options box. Cap the planar holes with the "_Cap" command. This rebuild method will allow your label to flow around the three sides with its inherent UV mapping. In KeyShot, set the mapping type to "UV Mapping", Angle to 90°, and check "Flip Horizontal". If you are using NURBS Mode in KeyShot, you will instead need to set the angle to 0°, check "Flip Vertical", and scale the label up much larger. Examples attached.

Eric