Problem when importing .3DS or .OBJ files

Started by luciel, September 30, 2016, 07:35:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luciel

Hello,

I would like to use the sample files of trees provided on this website. http://xfrog.com/category/samples.html

When I open either a .3DS file or an .obj file, the leaves appear to be positioned on a square. I've looked in the scene tree to see if they can be hidden but it doesn't seem so. Does anyone know what is going on here ? Thanks in advance for your help.

LayC42

These plant texture is a jpg right? You'll need a png with alpha. But you can use the material graph with the color mask node to mask out the white areas.

(written on a mobile - with short sentences)

Hope that helps

luciel

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Just to be clear the image I attached is just a screengrab of the Keyshot window of what I see when I open the .obj or .3ds file. I'm quite new to Keyshot, but I'll see if I can figure out how to use the material graph to mask the white areas. I've been looking for documentation on how to go about doing this but haven't found anything yet.

TpwUK

Quote from: luciel on September 30, 2016, 08:44:56 AM
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Just to be clear the image I attached is just a screengrab of the Keyshot window of what I see when I open the .obj or .3ds file. I'm quite new to Keyshot, but I'll see if I can figure out how to use the material graph to mask the white areas. I've been looking for documentation on how to go about doing this but haven't found anything yet.

Double click one of the site/leaf materials and that will open it in the material editor. Select Textures. Drag the leaf image whilst holding ALT and drop it on the Alpha/Opacity slot, then you want to select inverse colour if I remember rightly

Martin

LayC42

Yeah. My thoughts were way to complex. That solution should work. If the leafs were too transparent then open the material graph, RMB in the background space utilities->color adjustments and a node will show up. Drag the blue mark from the opacity channel to the input of the new node. And the output circle port (right side of the node) to the opacity port of the material. Now you can select the color adjustment node play with the different options till the leaf image is more darken = less transparent in the opacity channel.
(still on tour. I have no KS to test it yet. But I'm sure that you'll get it)

Show us your results

Cheers
Marco

luciel

Thanks to all for your replies I'll give it a try and let you know the results!

luciel

@TpwUK - I could'nt find the Alpha/Opacity slot in "Textures", but under "Properties" I selected "Use Diffuse Map Alpha" and it worked. Thanks TpwUK and LayC42 for your help! Here is a screenshot of what it looks like now.